• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

It's all about the pacing...

I was thinking of getting one. Do you have the Mio Alpha 1 or 2? Can you have the display on time, with the HRM running in the background and peeping when you go outside the limits? Some of the amazon reviews seem to suggest that when you change to time display, the HRM turns off. How often does it need recharging? My pulse goes from 54 to 120 when I stand up from sitting, so it would be a good reminder for getting into better habits when I stand up, go upstairs etc.
I have the older version. Basically we got one as soon as it became available in Europe.

I think it has to stay on the heart rate display if you want it to beep. Though you can hit a button to show the time for a few seconds without leaving heart rate mode.

It can last the whole day on one charge, and recharges quite quickly - around 30 minutes.

rahmama

But you don't look sick...
I bought a simple heart rate monitor this morning from the pharmacy. It's call a pulse oximeter (clips onto your finger) and shows both oxygen levels and heart rate. It's the one my Physical Therapist had in his office. I'd asked him about staying in the heart rate zone and was surprised at his knowledge in relation to CF. He gave me some understanding of how to use it and how to keep my HR at the right level for my age and condition.
It seems like it'll do what I want. Maybe I'll get a FitBit or something 'cooler', but it's good for now.
This heart rate thing is entirely new for me. I learned about it here from you guys. Thanks!

Was doing the pacing thing yesterday and going so well ,getting lots done as there is always something that needs doing ,my hubby is back at uni so carried groceries etc etc,had to wait up late for him to get him from the train ,i was stuffed did way too much even though i was having lie downs,aby the time i went to bed i could barely breath,and felt shattered, had a severe central aponea,and just trying to regain some composure today.....too much toomuchhhhhhh:aghhh:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
He gave me some understanding of how to use it and how to keep my HR at the right level for my age and condition.
I fail to see what your age would have to do with it. Two people who were in the same condition would have the same heart rate limit regardless of their ages. I hope that your PT gave you accurate advice.

I use a pulse oximeter too. Right now I am just guessing. I was going to get an anaerobic threshold test. I injured my back and have had to put it off.

rahmama

But you don't look sick...
I fail to see what your age would have to do with it. Two people who were in the same condition would have the same heart rate limit regardless of their ages. I hope that your PT gave you accurate advice. I use a pulse oximeter too. Right now I am just guessing. I was going to get an anaerobic threshold test. I injured my back and have had to put it off.

I'm just learning about using my heart rate to monitor my AT, or anaerobic threshold. @TiredSam posted a link that explains it very well.
Pacing by Numbers: Using Your Heart Rate To Stay Inside the Energy Envelope
http://www.cfidsselfhelp.org/librar...our-heart-rate-to-stay-inside-energy-envelope

Here's a short excerpt that explains how to figure your maximum heart rate by your age:
"The anaerobic threshold (AT) is the heart rate beyond which we draw on energy reserves we don't have and activity creates post-exertional malaise. The threshold is often around about 60% of a person's maximum heart rate, though each person is different and an individual's threshold may vary from day to day or within a day.
(Note: Maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. For a person who is 50 years old, 60% of maximum heart rate is (220 - 50) x .6 = 102 beats per minute.)

A good article to check out.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
That 60% is a very general estimate. For people who are less well, it will be less. For people who are better, it will be more. For a healthy person, it is 80%.

If you find you still get PEM, you may need to reduce your maximum heart rate. In some places it is possible to get a test that will tell you your anaerobic threshold.