• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

itchy scalp after sugar

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I can get the feeling of itchy scalp within 20 minutes after having sugar. What possible mechanism can make that happen so fast?

Last edited:

Sherlock

Thanks, @Sasha. I should have included that it happens usually but not always, so that tends to leave out allergy. Also, I never get hives.

Maybe it's leaky gut, but I was guessing that 20 minutes seems too fast a response for that...

ahmo

Sherlock

Candida? I finally twigged to my ongoing skin condition when I read this article from lowhistaminechef. Especially the 4th comment from Rebecca. http://thelowhistaminechef.com/eczema-a-mast-cell-histamine-related-condition/

When I finally realized that although I never had what I considered symptoms of candida, once I stopped the honey, many things shifted in my body.
Thanks, ahmo. Hey, Rebecca says that she puts on her "sleuthing hat". That sounds familiar.

I know that I have had candida for many years, and also apparently have high histamine - though high histamine foods don't bother me. Still, that leaves me wondering how/why sugar in the stomach leads so quickly to histamine getting to the scalp via circulation.

Though you never know. People get a spike in insulin from certain articial sweeteners. Or, if I take a strong drink of cloves in water, I can immediately (usually) feel a sensation in my ear canals.

ahmo

Hey, Rebecca says that she puts on her "sleuthing hat". That sounds familiar.
;)

Your signature says
probably from chymase secreted by Mast Cells.
So, you have a known mast cell issue, it seems...Mast cells, histamines, itchy scalp...Not unrelated. Re how histamine from sugar gets to scalp...My sense, not my scientific understanding, is that as soon as you feed the critters, they're actively eating, which activity can feel like itching.

There were several overlapping Summits online recently. I believe the person I heard using the term "yeasty beasties" was Mikell Parsons, though candida is not in the headings of her website, linked below. In any case, there were repeated references to candida as a big player in all manner of symptoms, and 2 of the popular ingredients to combat them, recommended by several speakers, are berberine and caprylic acid. I'll be researching the differences and choosing which of these to proceed to for my own situation.

http://www.naturalpathfresno.com/

Sherlock

caprylic acid

Thanks, I had tried a bottle of caprylic acid about 25 years ago to zero effect. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Effective killers for me: olive leaf extract, clove powder.. always on an empty stomach so as not to dilute them. Or, I reasoned that since iodine is such an effective topical antimicrobial, then iodine tablets with food might help - and that seems somewhat true.

At one time, baking soda worked - which was a serendipitous thing for me.

Biotin helps prevent conversion to the harmful fungal/rhyzome form for me.

Still it's never really ever gone.

Sherlock

I had ramped up exercise since Christmas Eve, so had also consumed more sugar... and now have the burning/blurry eyes and also more joint problems. I had thought that I would get away with the sugar because I was taking iodine at the same time (as an antimicrobial). But as it turned out, that didn't prevent the eye inflammation. C'est la vie.