• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Itchy rash -could this be caused by NAC?

I was trying a modified version of the methylation protocol (modified because I'm in the uk so getting supplements can be trickier and I'm not rich). NAC produced such an improvement that I bought a (semi-recumbent) exercise bike and was beginning to exercise for 90 seconds a time. However I have developed an itchy rash and had this for weeks. My gp believes it to be pityriasis rosea but I haven't had a virus, I'm a lot older than the usual age range and it's been all over my body including hands, feet and sometimes face. It's not on my palms or soles and it's not a bullseye Lyme rash. It starts as itchy red spots that develop outwards to leave a pale centre and red circle or horseshoe shape then fade but others develop. At night the rash often fades. I'm taking loratidine or cetirizine twice a day and using a steroid cream when the itching is still bad.

I've stopped the supplements for a time without the rash going but would like to restart NAC. Any advice welcomed.

thanks for replying. I'm wondering if the rash is actually caused by helicobacter pylori and the NAC was helping by damaging the biofilm helicobacter creates. Anyway I've persuaded my gp to test for helicobacter and as soon as the sample's taken I'm going on NAC, raw garlic and probiotics while I wait for the results.