• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Itching and High Appetite Symptoms

xks201

Was just also curious if any of you experienced a relentless appetite (always hungry type feeling) and or itchy skin? I am seeing mast cell malfunction (high histamine release) in the scientific literature with regards to CFS patients.

I know I am posting a lot here of questions/polls similar to this but I am honestly just trying to wrap my head around several possibilities here with regards to CFS. Thank you all for your time and I am hoping everyone gets better soon (even if that does not happen).

Sparrow

Not particularly hungry or itchy. ...Though I tend to link mast cell overactivity to my development of more pronounced food allergies, some of the chemical sensitivities, and flushing of the nose/face.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I get very hungry and very itchy when I eat foods I am allergic to.
I don't know why the hungry thing, but I was told by the allergist that it is a typical symptom.
I have my eosinophils measured and when these symptoms are bad, the eos are always very high, which again indicates general allergyness.

xks201

The only possibility I could tie together between the itchiness and the hunger is increased histamine generating stomach acid - histamine also causing itchiness.

Apparently histamine is a very powerful inducer of vasopressin, which is probably not working right in a lot of CFS patients according to studies! http://www.springerlink.com/content/v5857166x0j6tt43/

Hypovolemia progresses...pissing all the time - orthostatic hypertension....the fun begins. Part of my story I think at least.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, Yes - enormous appetite - and nightly itching all over. Seems to have gone away on anti - candida diet recently - this has also dropped my hunger down as well.
The hunger i had was also associated with strange stomach noises and real hunger pains in the belly (parasites??)
Justy.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Ditto to everything Justy said - the rumbling tummy sometimes gets so exteme it's really embarrassing.
Interesting about vasopressin too xks. That would make sense, as I do indeed need to widdle endlessly.

Sparrow

If histamine induces vasopressin, wouldn't that mean LESS urination, not more? As I've understood it, vasopressin is the anti-diuretic hormone, meaning that it keeps things from triggering extra urine production. That's why low levels are a problem for us, because we're potentially losing too much fluid then (which we need to keep up our blood volume, etc.).

It's an odd combination then, since I agree with you that there seem to be consistent indications of over-activity of histamine and under-activity (or at least, fluctuating levels) of vasopressin in many ME patients.

xks201

Well for example I have often shown symptoms of high histamine...itching, constant hunger, etc.. But histamine production is rate limited. It can be exhausted temporarily until more histidine is available. The one amino acid abnormality I showed is low histidine. And if histidine is low this could potentially mean that the body does not have histamine to derive from histadine when it needs it, like when blood volume is low.

When my bacterial infection was running rampant and or when my aldosterone is low I have to piss a lot.

Histamine can also screw with the immune response as can possible high levels of adrenaline.