• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Issues with doing cutler chelation with no mercury?

cman89

I was wondering what possible issues could arise with doing a Cutler style chelation system if one has no mercury toxicity? Or perhaps a sub-clinical level that would not show up on tests? The reason I am asking is prior to my latest episodes, I have had nothing but good results from ALA usage. I decided to try some more ALA rounds after a recent setback, and I seem to be all over the place.

I am feeling better in some ways (from two months ago) , but other symptoms havent really changed. I am really wanting to decrease my overall supplement load, and so I want to evaluate if the ALA is beneficial even on a non-metal chelation basis. Has anyone seen negative results from using ALA that would NOT be attributed to metal re distribution?

(PS- In the last two months, I have not taken ALA alone, it has always been low-dose, 3hr spaced rounds. I am well aware of dangers of one time dosing, so I think I have that angle taken care of ok)

caledonia

My understanding of it is if you don't have mercury, you wouldn't feel anything from ALA one way or the other.

Having a response to ALA, either good or bad, is diagnostic of the presence of mercury.

If your hair/mineral test is not showing deranged mineral transport, but you have symptoms of mercury, the Cutler people will have you try some ALA rounds to see if you get a response.

aaron_c

I was chelated for three and a half years with IV chelation, mostly to treat sky-high mercury. When I was done I didn't have much mercury left in my system. I tried taking ALA a few times since then, and it hasn't gone well--possibly because of an interaction with some other supplement I am taking--but I'm not sure. My guess is that because ALA plays a role in the krebs cycle it threw off the delicate balance I try to achieve through supplements.

Dufresne

almost there...
My understanding of it is if you don't have mercury, you wouldn't feel anything from ALA one way or the other.

Having a response to ALA, either good or bad, is diagnostic of the presence of mercury.

If your hair/mineral test is not showing deranged mineral transport, but you have symptoms of mercury, the Cutler people will have you try some ALA rounds to see if you get a response.

ALA has all kinds of effects and can feel good or bad for a number of reasons. It used to be my favorite supplement and was just about the only concentrated antioxidant I could use. I always had more stamina on it and it improved my mood. Eventually, though, it went the way of most antioxidants in that it burnt up my energy. And yet now, years later, I'm using it for emergency chelation and feeling pretty good with it when taken sporadically.

Incidentally I've never had a problem chelating with ALA for shorter periods of time. In theory it seems like what Cutler says in this regard is sound, but in practice I find I can take it in isolated doses to relieve symptoms of mercury exposure.

cman89

ALA has all kinds of effects and can feel good or bad for a number of reasons. It used to be my favorite supplement and was just about the only concentrated antioxidant I could use. I always had more stamina on it and it improved my mood. Eventually, though, it went the way of most antioxidants in that it burnt up my energy. And yet now, years later, I'm using it for emergency chelation and feeling pretty good with it when taken sporadically.

Incidentally I've never had a problem chelating with ALA for shorter periods of time. In theory it seems like what Cutler says in this regard is sound, but in practice I find I can take it in isolated doses to relieve symptoms of mercury exposure.
Dont you think that those sporadic usages could be due more to its action as an antioxidant than a chelator? After all, it is recommended in many parkinsons regimens due to its non mercury action....

cman89

I would dispute the idea that you wont feel anything even without mercury presence. It has powerful effects of energy production and blood sugar regulation. People could certainly have effects due to those two attributes.

Dufresne

almost there...
Dont you think that those sporadic usages could be due more to its action as an antioxidant than a chelator? After all, it is recommended in many parkinsons regimens due to its non mercury action....

I don't think I understand your question. In my post I was making the point that feeling good or bad from ALA may well have nothing to do with mercury chelation. And I think that's the point you're trying to make, as well.

sporadic usages could be due more to its action as an antioxidant than a chelator

The "sporadic usages" are due to the fact that I elect to chelate with ALA when I feel symptoms I associate with mercury exposure. Consuming certain fish causes me to wake up in the middle of the night with very uncomfortable nervous system symptoms. The only thing that relieves this and allows me to get back to sleep is ALA. Seeing as the fish that give me this problem are of the larger predatory variety, coupled with the fact that only ALA helps, has led me to conclude the problem involves mercury.

cman89

I don't think I understand your question. In my post I was making the point that feeling good or bad from ALA may well have nothing to do with mercury chelation. And I think that's the point you're trying to make, as well.

The "sporadic usages" are due to the fact that I elect to chelate with ALA when I feel symptoms I associate with mercury exposure. Consuming certain fish causes me to wake up in the middle of the night with very uncomfortable nervous system symptoms. The only thing that relieves this and allows me to get back to sleep is ALA. Seeing as the fish that give me this problem are of the larger predatory variety, coupled with the fact that only ALA helps, has led me to conclude the problem involves mercury.
I have often made that connection, however I am also concerned about whatever (If if way overhyped) effects of mercury re-distribution could occur with using periodic ALA dosing after a supposed contamination.