• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this methylfolate product ok?

It costs a premium, but works out cheaper per milligram than buying lots of smaller bottles. It doesn't once mention the "metafolin" brand name, however, so i'm wondering if there might be a difference in quality?

Metabolic Maintenance 5-MTHF.

richvank

It costs a premium, but works out cheaper per milligram than buying lots of smaller bottles. It doesn't once mention the "metafolin" brand name, however, so i'm wondering if there might be a difference in quality?

Metabolic Maintenance 5-MTHF.

Hi, forbius.

This product is a racemic mixture of 50%-50% L5-methyltetrahydrofolate and R5-tetrahydrofolate. Only the L5 type is usable by the body. I don't know whether the presence of the other type will cause any problems or not. It's cheaper to make the mixture. As far as I know, only Merck and Gnosis have processes for making the pure L5.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi, forbius.

This product is a racemic mixture of 50%-50% L5-methyltetrahydrofolate and R5-tetrahydrofolate. Only the L5 type is usable by the body. I don't know whether the presence of the other type will cause any problems or not. It's cheaper to make the mixture. As far as I know, only Merck and Gnosis have processes for making the pure L5.

Best regards,

Rich

Is there a metafolin product that comes in these sorts of dosages? I can only seem to find 800mcg and 1mg.

adreno

PR activist
There is a 5mg Thorne product on iHerb, that contains only l-methylfolate (gnosis).

drex13

There is a 5mg Thorne product on iHerb, that contains only l-methylfolate (gnosis).[/QUOTE

For anyone who's interested, Gnosis' methylfolate product is trade named Quatrefolic ( they also have one called Extrafolate S) . Swanson carries this as Swanson Ultra Folate. As Rich said above, it is pure, acitive L-methylfolate, not a racemic mix.