• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a downside to really high dose Methylfolate besides over methylation?

drob31

Assuming many of us are poor methylators and are compound heterozygous MTHFR, or homozygous MTHFR, what is the risk to trying to go really high on the methylfolate, like deplin doses? I just took 5 mg and feel pretty good, albeit slightly jittery. (I'm also taking meythyl b-12).

GhostGum

I personally can not even tolerate 1mg a day, I will end up flushing, feeling uncomfortable in my own skin and even developing eczema after a few days; meanwhile I love B12 and also seem to need extra B3. But I only have a minor homozygous MTHFR, while I have other homozygous which seem to need attention (signature).

And why assume you are anything? Get your genes tested. You should probably also not take such large doses straight off the bat, go small, see how you go and work your way up. Methylation supplements are no quick fix, it takes time, and that is if it is an underlying factor for any given individual.

ahmo

After some time at high doses (months, not years), my adrenals became stressed. This led me to discover that eating green veggies was blocking methylFolate. So I quit green veg, and reduced my need for folate by 50%. Then switched from swallowing to sublingual, and only needed 1/3 of what I'd been taking. In all, went from 30 mg to 5mg, and now stabilized at 2mg.

Aerose91

Im curious about this, too. I can take uo to 15 mg with no symptoms whatsoever- good or bad. Mb12 in maxed out at 10 right now so im not sure if its safe to just keep increasing the mfolate dose