Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is the enteric coated version of P5P marketing hype or legit science?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Bluelude1, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1

It's been about 3+ years since this question was last asked on here.

What is the current opinion on enteric coated P5P?

I understand the basic logic behind enteric coated P5P is it supposedly isn't harmed by stomach acid. At 400-600% additional cost over uncoated P5P, my question is is there really legitimate value to warrant the markup or just a convenient means of differentiating the product an increasing profit margin?

BTW - I'm not debating the value of P5P just specifically whether there is legitimate value in the enteric coating.

2. JES

JES Senior Member

@Bluelude1 I have split my enteric coated tablets in order to allow me taking a smaller dosage. I react strongly even to moderate dosages of P5P and I definitely feel the effect even when the tablet is split. Seeing as normal B6 is almost always sold non-enteric coated, I don't think there is strong evidence to support the superiority of enteric coated P5P.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Me too

ljimbo423 likes this.
  4. Bluelude1

Bluelude1

Thanks for the feedback. Its surprisingly hard to find much on the subject.

5. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    I can't speak to the effectiveness of enteric-coated, but I can speak to the effectiveness of non-enteric coated, so I would have no reason to buy the enteric coated. For me, the results showed in my blood work. I had been taking 100 mg of P-HCl for several months and the interpretation of my serum amino acid test showed B6 deficiency in 5 or 6 results. When I switched to P5P, there was no more deficiency in my repeated blood work. I lowered the dose to 50 mg P5P and still no deficiency. My conclusion, based on a sample size of one, is that the non-enteric coated P5P was plenty effective.

ljimbo423 and Bluelude1 like this.
  6. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    I have wondered the same thing about the enteric coating on some P5P supps. I have taken both enteric coated and regular capsules and have not noticed any difference. So I just use the capsules.

One more country heard from.:)

Jim

See more popular forum discussions.