• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Sulphur Good or Bad for Candida (and Lyme)

Lotus97

Some people say Sulphur based supplements such as MSM, Taurine, and Alpha Lipoic Acid feed Candida/yeast while others say that it kills Candida and the reason people feel bad on sulphur supplements is because of the die-off/herx/herxheimer effect released from the pathogens when they're killed.

South

I've gone around and around with this and finally think that nobody knows anything! Candida completely sucks, and I can't find any RELIABLE info other than the usual "strict diet" and "candida killing supps/meds" and "probiotics". Been there done that.

Case in point, taurine:
"taurine helps the body process sulfur better, which reduces candida problems"
"taurine made my candida grow like wildfire - as evidenced by increase in skin fungal infection, which cannot be blamed on die-off"
"taurine helps bile flow"
"CBS mutations can result in extremely high blood levels of taurine"

ok, I give up. Nobody knows what these sulfury supplements do, and I no longer respect the opinions of certain candida-fighting experts who take any single stance on these sulfury supplements and don't state "we have not tested this out in real physiology". THEY don't know, and to state that they do know is misleading.