• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Really Bad Back Pain in the Morning after Wake Up Normal

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I notice if I sleep more than 5 or 6 hours in a row, I wake up with really bad back pain and lung congestion. Both usually get better after I have been up for 4 or 5 hours. It is usually all of my back and not just my lower back. I am wondering if it is CFS or arthritis (which I also have). Does anybody else get bad back pain on wake up?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
my back is badly arthritic and i wake up stiff and sore every morning and does seem worse if i sleep more and also if i have used antihistamines for sleep and more so if i use a low dose seroquel or mirtazapine. Im of tramadol for my back pain so i normally wake up and hobble to the kitchen and drop a tramadol and wait for it to kick in then i can stand up straight and bend over etc with out my back feeling 'rusty'.

Ruthie24

Have you had a rheumatology work up recently? ANA, CRP, etc? Family history of anyone with ankylosing spondylitis or other spondyloarthropathy? Does the pain wake you up? Might be worth getting it checked out just to make sure it's not something else besides arthritis.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I think most of us struggle in the morning but I have had chronic back problems long before ME. and it was shocking in the mornings.
I thought my bed was okay but having had a new mattress last year as well as some acupuncture my back has been better.

In fact on holiday recently in Spain with temperatures of 280C my back felt fantastic!
Back home it has reverted to being just dicky again. The thing that definitely works for me is heat, I wrap a old sweater around my back before going to bed and wear lots of layers during the day. Never ever let it get cold.

I hurt more on a mattress that is not just right. If it is a little firmer or softer than I need. I also hurt more if I did not sleep enough hours, had restless sleep, if pillows were not placed right, or if did too much physically that day. Temperature is one cause of restless sleep for me. Another is allergies.