The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is PEM a crash? Is a crash PEM? Semantically distinct? Or distinct phenomena?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by leokitten, Aug 2, 2018.

1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    My question really is about the semantics of 'crash' and 'PEM'. I guess I used to use both these words somewhat interchangeably and wanted to ask PRers what they think.

In my experience with ME, PEM, or a worsening of symptoms, happens after mental or physical overexertion. When I have too many periods overexertion over a short enough length of time without sufficient rest (or a continually long overexertion) then the PEM continues to build until I have a crash. Rarely too I've had crashes that seem to have come out of nowhere and didn't appear to be preceded by PEM.

So these words are distinct but related phenomena to me. What do you think? :nerd:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Pisgah, Sushi, ljimbo423 and 4 others like this.
  2. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

One problem is that there isn't one clear, concise definition of PEM. I get PEM 24 hrs after activity that strains muscles unusually. I also get PEM-like symptoms within a few hours of certain cognitive activities, such as driving or socializing, and the symptoms and magnitudes are somewhat different from the ones from physically-induced PEM. So, two different types of PEM, or is one of them not actually PEM?

For me, I prefer to refer to my consistent physically-induced symptoms as PEM, and the cognitive ones as PEM-like. I'd use the word 'crash' for a serious and lengthy increase in symptoms that doesn't fit into the other categories.

3. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Great question here is my definition
    PEM= exarcebation of symptoms ( could be energy affected also but not necessarily) so muscle pain, sleep worst, fluish... temporary, body saying stop.

Crash= I hit a wall and my energy base is lower than my normal. Even if symptoms Recide, the energy level has not gone to my normal base.

soxfan, Pisgah, Sushi and 1 other person like this.
  4. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    I agree. I have PEM that always hits me 2 days after too much physical exertion and always lasts 24 hours and is mostly just an increase in fatigue with a mild headache.

I also have crashes or flares, where I feel just like I have a cold or the flu, which are much worse than PEM. These flares now last about 2 days and can happen almost anytime.

My flares, not PEM, use to last 7-10 days. Slowly they have gone from 7-10 days, to 5-7, then 4-5 and now only last 2. So I seem to be moving in the right direction!:)

I can't help but wonder if the PEM is caused by mitochondrial dysfunction in the body and the flu-like flares I get are caused by the microglia in the brain being activated by the immune system or by mitochondrial dysfunction.

The flu-like flares suggest to me that the brain is being affected. Just as if I had a real flu.

Pisgah, leokitten and Sushi like this.
  5. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member

Maryland
    ++ to that theory, that this disease is immune and cellular energy dysfunction each feeding back on the other... which came first, chicken or egg, I don't know! ;)

Pisgah, Wishful and ljimbo423 like this.
  6. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

I haven't been able to find a clear verification in scientific papers, but I think many of the flu-like symptoms are due to excess kynurenines, particularly quinolinic acid. That's made in the brain (doesn't cross the BBB easily) by activated microglial cells. My guess is that the immune system triggers this, and mitochondrial dysfunction is part of the feedback loop, but maybe the mito dysfunction makes the immune system more sensitive...

Do chickens get ME/CFS? :)

Mel9 and leokitten like this.
  7. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    leokitten likes this.
  8. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

If it was oxidative stress, antioxidants should reduce symptoms. Instead, they seem to make my symptoms worse. I tried NAC, which should boost glutathione, but it had no noticeable effects.

leokitten likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.