• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is medical marijuana the answer to our constant fatigue?

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I think legalization doesn't start until July 1, 2018. There are no legal store front dispensaries. There are illegal dispensaries, but they're mostly ignored by police.

Medical marijuana is available through govt sanctioned licensed producers (LP). A physician signs a simple form, the patient submits to LP of their choice and then order, delivery by mail.

I happened to be seated beside the CEO of Weed Inc, the first to market player, on a flight so I got to hear his pot start up story and he got to hear my legal and reality show marijuana stories.

Then I got to hear about his son's health issues and he got to hear about my health issues with ME.

When we got to the airport I had to rest part way up the ramp and he insisted on finding me a wheelchair and pushing me to my Uber. He really is a 'pusher'. ;)

But I digress - he said that his organization wasn't at capacity, nor would be, to handle the demand of legalization for next year - nor would all the other current LPs.

The inference was that the govt would increase the number of licensed producers. His intent was to gobble up the smaller players as opposed to building just more of his own facilities. If you play the stock market...

Manganus

@Manganus, have you tried melatonin? How does marijuana compare with melatonin in terms of effectiveness, side effects, etc.?
It's so long ago, that I used melatonin regularly. Like 10 years, or so.

I don't remember this "better morning-effect" from melatonin.
And I don't remember any side effects at all.

That with "side effects" is tricky to answer. At that time, I compared with ordinary sleeping-pills. And compared to them, melatonin seemed to be "without" side effects.
But I guess there was a hint of hangover-effect.

Last edited:

Manganus

It helped me with sleep at the start but now doesn't help sleep and I am addicted.

It worsens exhaustion and POTS in most people. It also is well known for making memory worse.

That's a tragedy.

How does this addiction appear?

With regard to memory, that's a well known risk. My position, however, is that my memory already is severely damaged to start with. Although there is an obvious decrease in short term memory some hours after taking cannabis, at that time of the day, it doesn't matter much.

In my case, I see a detrimential long-term effect on motivation and drive, but not on memory.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

People react to cannabis in very different ways. Years ago, I had known some people who could consume cannabis multiple times a day and go about their daily chores as if it was no big deal. On the other hand, some people are VERY sensitive to it and it will put them on the couch for hours. To answer your question, For the majority of people I don't think it is a viable long term solution for fatigue.

Personally, i decided to give it a try, I was very excited about the prospects of cannabis helping me. My pre bedtime ritual of one or two small puffs actually did help me initially. My sleep was better, I was even able to ween myself off most of my sleeping pills. It reduced my anxiety and depression, BUT, as time passed, I started feeling lethargic and notice memory and congestive impairment. I finally decided to end the bedtime protocol. I was shocked to find out that I was having severe withdrawal symptoms which mainly include depression, anxiety and insomnia. This lasted for about a month. It was intense and EXTREMELY unpleasant. I will probably never try it again.