• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it necessary to raise B12 when taking glutathione?

lizw118

This question has probably already been asked, but I seem to be having mixed results with glutathione. I am wondering if I need more B12 now that I am taking it. Is this possible?
Liz

nanonug

This question has probably already been asked, but I seem to be having mixed results with glutathione. I am wondering if I need more B12 now that I am taking it. Is this possible?

I guess it would help if you could explain what you mean by "mixed results".

lizw118

By mixed results I mean that in some ways I feel better and in some ways worse. I seem to have more strength and stamina since starting the glutathione. I can exercise for a longer time, things like that. I also feel like I can lower my hydrocortisone dose slightly (I take it for adrenal fatigue). However, I am more depressed and I get dizzy more often from POTS. I also have more swelling in my face and sinuses on the glutathione. I am not sure if these are detox symptoms or something else. I am currently taking a few days off of the glutathione to see how I feel.
Liz

lizw118

I should also add that on a Metametrix ion profile test my results were on the high side for cadmium and arsenic. I wonder if my body is detoxing one or both of those on the glutathione. How can I tell?
Liz

nanonug

However, I am more depressed and I get dizzy more often from POTS. I also have more swelling in my face and sinuses on the glutathione. I am not sure if these are detox symptoms or something else. I am currently taking a few days off of the glutathione to see how I feel.

Increased levels of glutathione will probably upregulate/wake up portions of your immune system (natural killer cells are known to depend on healthy levels of glutathione, for example.)

Glutathione will also mobilize toxins such as heavy metals. For this reason, I like to take acetyl-glutathione together with R-lipoic acid.

lizw118

Increased levels of glutathione will probably upregulate/wake up portions of your immune system (natural killer cells are known to depend on healthy levels of glutathione, for example.)

Glutathione will also mobilize toxins such as heavy metals. For this reason, I like to take acetyl-glutathione together with R-lipoic acid.

Hi nanonug
I was taking ALA with the glutathione for a few days but it made the symptoms worse. Is this something I should "push through?"
Liz

nanonug

I was taking ALA with the glutathione for a few days but it made the symptoms worse. Is this something I should "push through?"

If the problem if heavy metal toxicity, I wouldn't "push through".

In my case, I had to go through one year of IV chelation therapy (w/ DMSA if I'm not mistaken) to significantly reduce heavy metal load. However, I was also taking IV glutathione and oral alpha-lipoic acid.

By the way, these days I don't see why one would take alpha-lipoic acid instead of R-lipoic acid.

lizw118

I didn't know about R-lipoic acid. I will look into that.
Wouldn't taking the glutathione and lipoic acid remove the metals? Why do you need to do I.V. chelation? I don't know much about chelation, so forgive me for the rudimentary question.
Why not "push through" the metal detox?
Thanks
Liz

nanonug

Wouldn't taking the glutathione and lipoic acid remove the metals?

I don't know. Depending on your heavy metal load, you could end up redistributing those metals to the brain.

Do you have amalgam fillings in your teeth?

Why do you need to do I.V. chelation?

Because otherwise the body wouldn't be able to get rid of heavy metals, at least in a "short" period of time. By "short" I mean a year or so.

Why not "push through" the metal detox?

If you overload your body's capability to detox, even with glutathione and lipoic acid, you may end up causing greater harm to yourself.

lizw118

Hi nanonug
Thanks for the replies. I had my amalgam fillings removed a few years ago. Right now I am thinking that maybe pulsing my doses of glutathione and lipoic acid might be a good idea. What do you think?
Liz

nanonug

Right now I am thinking that maybe pulsing my doses of glutathione and lipoic acid might be a good idea. What do you think?

Honestly, I don't know.

I still feel that IV glutathione plus IV chelation is the way to go. You basically want to bring your heavy metal load to "normal" levels as measured by a test such as Doctor's Data Toxic Metals, Urine. This test measures toxic metals in urine after provocation with DMSA, for example (that's how I did it.)