• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it absolutely necessary to take a B complex as part of any methylation protocol?

bigmillz

I started adding this to my thread here, but decided it made more sense to start a new one.

Specifically for those with a bad reaction to B complexes (I'm still up in the air if I'm one of them), is it necessary to take one to get the methylation cycle running well?

PeterPositive

The methylation cycle depends on a number of vitamins in the B complex. Namely: B12, B9, B6, B2 and B3.

Are there specific reasons why you need to get your methylation cycle run well? Diet typically can make it run well, unless labs say otherwise. Do they?

cheers

bigmillz

The methylation cycle depends on a number of vitamins in the B complex. Namely: B12, B9, B6, B2 and B3.

Are there specific reasons why you need to get your methylation cycle run well? Diet typically can make it run well, unless labs say otherwise. Do they?

cheers

In a nutshell, I really couldn't tolerate sulfuric foods for a long time (I'd have hummus and be just wiped out and irritable the next day), and I've had off/on issues with being super fatigued. I'm known by my friends as having bad allergies, strange food reactions, and fatigue. I had a 23andme test, which turned up compound heterozygous MTHFR. I respond incredibly well to B12 and a B complex initially, despite my B12 levels being in check. I do eat a pretty balanced diet I'd say too. This has been an ongoing quest for me for a long time.

This is my most recent attempt to get methylation running well, and it's the closest I've ever gotten. I've gotten up to 1mg mb12, 750mcg adB12, about 8mg mFolate, and now I'm trying to get a B complex in. It's tougher than I thought - looking at my logs, the past 5 days with a B complex have turned my mood for the worse, despite a boost in energy. My acne has gotten much worse than baseline during the past few days too.

Basically wondering how likely it is that my diet is satisfying my needs for B1/B2/B3/B6/B7, and if a B complex is just pushing me over the top.

I've removed the B complex now, going to let things settle for a few days, then consider a fresh B blood test and/or the super-low Nature Made B complex.

bigmillz

I thought potassium supplementation was the one to never omit?

It is, but totally different than the B vitamins. Starting everything up with B vitamins can increase need for potassium. For this, I've been supplementing a small amount every day, and being sure to eat a few potassium-rich foods (like an avocado).

PeterPositive

I had a 23andme test, which turned up compound heterozygous MTHFR.
Heterozygous MTHFR isn't really indicative of anything. Almost 40% of people in Italy or Mexico have that mutation but very few have any health issues. A decent diet can easily keep the problem at bay without the need for supplements.

Unless... you have other tests that indicate the contrary. E.g. high homocysteine, low glutathione and/or SAMe etc...

I've removed the B complex now, going to let things settle for a few days, then consider a fresh B blood test and/or the super-low Nature Made B complex.
Probably a good idea.

Good luck

bigmillz

Heterozygous MTHFR isn't really indicative of anything. Almost 40% of people in Italy or Mexico have that mutation but very few have any health issues. A decent diet can easily keep the problem at bay without the need for supplements.

Unless... you have other tests that indicate the contrary. E.g. high homocysteine, low glutathione and/or SAMe etc...

Probably a good idea.

Good luck

Thanks @PeterPositive, appreciate the well wishes.

When I started on all of this, I assumed maybe a little extra B12 would be beneficial, and I could move on with life. Except when I first tried mB12, it's like somebody turned the lights on in my for me. During the startup phase, I almost wondered if somebody had slipped something in my water, it was that much of an eye opener. Even my vision became brighter (pun not intended) - I asked a few people at first if it was unusually bright out. They looked at me like I was nuts. I generally eat a decent amount of red meat during the week too, as well as sources of the other B vitamins. That's what convinced me; supplementing was definitely of benefit to me.

My friends are still amazed by it - many have asked to try my "B vitamins" and a few have been astounded at the results too. Oddly, the ones who have a more well rounded diet seem to be the ones who notice an effect.

I really wish I could do this all just via my diet, but I haven't been able to come close. It'd be so much easier!

It's different for everyone. In my case I never needed extra K, but others here have reported the need for more, so it depends...

I had a bit of a sore neck when I started out, but never had heart palpitations or any other significant low potassium symptoms. Guess I'm not the only one.

PeterPositive

My friends are still amazed by it - many have asked to try my "B vitamins" and a few have been astounded at the results too. Oddly, the ones who have a more well rounded diet seem to be the ones who notice an effect.
Well B12, especially mehtyl-B12, is a nootropic (increases cognitive function), so it is no surprise that people take it and feel an effect. Also many healthy people have non optimal levels of B12 so a boost is always welcome.

I had a bit of a sore neck when I started out, but never had heart palpitations or any other significant low potassium symptoms. Guess I'm not the only one.
You can try some and see if makes any difference. For me it didn't, plus potassium supplements aren't very easy on the stomach. Mine is already uber sensitive :rolleyes: