When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is having a sauna / hot bath too frequently a bad idea (loss of minerals etc.) ?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Bansaw, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

I have a portable sauna and lately I've been having insomnia so have been taking a sauna before bed.
    This has helped me feel more drowsey at the right moment.

However, I am concerned that if I have a sauna every night, then eventually I might sweat out good minerals that I actually need and it might end up harming me more than benefiting.

Any comments?

2. keenly

keenly Senior Member

UK
    Cold showers or ice baths would be more beneficial

3. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    See how you do by increasing your mineral-intake with supplements. With hot-baths you're able to get the minerals transdermal by adding them to the water.

4. Yes, it's a good idea to drink extra water and replenish electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc.)

Sauna also detoxes various toxins, and you can overwhelm your liver if it's not working that well (probably, if you're on this forum). Might want to cut back to a couple times a week and not do it every day.

Maybe alternate with warm baths. You can add Epsom salt to the bath to get magnesium and make it even more relaxing.

5. maybe some day

maybe some day Senior Member

San Francisco bay area
    Keep your fluid intake up, I'd say any therapy that allows you to sleep is worth doing

6. Murph

Murph :)

A lot of us find that hot water is bad for us - plenty of people here have problems with anything that makes the blood vessels expand!

I'd personally be wary of anything that made me feel drowsy - it might be making me tired, i.e. worse. But if you feel good doing it, then do it!

Mel9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.