• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is chronic fatigue syndrome finally being taken seriously?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
When David Tuller's, and James Coynes Julie Rehmeyer articles/blogs came out I and I believe others twittered them with commentary to the guardian.
I don't know how much that has to do with the press we're seeing now and I see that the author knows someone with ME.

I am so thankful for the people like DT/JC/JR etc who helped create what appears to be a crack in the dam of PACE and are helping to create a more accurate narrative of our illness.

Let's let David Cox see our appreciation. I'm sure as this might be new to him (friend fell ill in 2014) he's on a learning curve with this illness too.

If we get a response article from Crawley or someone it will be interesting. As their propaganda articles keep coming the comments of people here have become well honed and very well done. It would seem to be counterproductive for them at this point.

mfairma

This is good for what we're used to, but it really should have been better. It muddles a bunch of important issues for the public.

sarah darwins

580 comments! :)

Sasha, as I know you're a connoisseur of 'tired woman' images to illustrate me/cfs ... the Guardian's article has an image of a woman on a bed (nice negligée!) which is credited to Getty Images. If you go to the Getty images site and look up cfs or chronic fatigue you don't get that image but if you search on "tired woman on bed" up it pops! Gawd knows what goes through the minds of newspaper picture editors when they're seeking illustrations, but I'm afraid "tired" is front and centre of their minds.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I thought this was for the US website but it seems the author is British. Are there any namby-pamby, wishy-washy, bleeding heart liberals who can tell us if this is the print edition?

@worldbackwards Now you wouldn't be being just a little bit namby-pambist there would you? You might get written about in the Guardian discriminating against people like that. All self-respecting Guardian readers with any sense don't take the print edition cos your fingers get all black when you read it.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sasha, as I know you're a connoisseur of 'tired woman' images to illustrate me/cfs ... the Guardian's article has an image of a woman on a bed (nice negligée!) which is credited to Getty Images.

Yes, I was thinking how like me she looked (give or take twenty years and the posh negligée, etc.)!

If you go to the Getty images site and look up cfs or chronic fatigue you don't get that image but if you search on "tired woman on bed" up it pops! Gawd knows what goes through the minds of newspaper picture editors when they're seeking illustrations, but I'm afraid "tired" is front and centre of their minds.

TBH, I think that "tired" is not a bad search term, and wouldn't be a bad search term for MS or similar diseases. The thing is, they're looking for search terms that will give them a pic of somebody lying down looking knackered and because photographers don't tag their images with "myalgic encephalomyelitis" or "multiple sclerosis", that's actually reasonable as one of the search terms.

The ones that I was forced to use, after much experimenting, were "depressed", "wheelchair", "bed" and so on. Like me, they may well be thinking of the image they need (someone lying in bed looking ill) and trying to think of the search term that will find such pix among the millions in the picture libraries.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I expect the picture search issue is a system problem. The person responsible may have tried to get an appropriate pic but appropriate search words might not turn up anything useful. Hopefully, this too is slowly changing (and yes faster would be nice) ;)

ghosalb

This article implies that one can give CFS to others....I am not sure that is true. If other family members got it, it is probably a genetic predisposition rather than infecting each other.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
This article implies that one can give CFS to others....I am not sure that is true. If other family members got it, it is probably a genetic predisposition rather than infecting each other.
As someone who was in a cluster outbreak, I would disagree. The article talked about the RC outbreak , so it is probably based on that.