• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is CFS caused by brain infection?

Dakota15

Thanks for sharing the link @tiredowl .....I definitely think there can be some causation. Mine started from sinusitis-like symptoms - nothing flu-like for me. I tried nearly every remedy for my sinuses but it just seemed something started in my sinuses and spread to my brain.

tiredowl

Thanks for sharing the link @tiredowl .....I definitely think there can be some causation. Mine started from sinusitis-like symptoms - nothing flu-like for me. I tried nearly every remedy for my sinuses but it just seemed something started in my sinuses and spread to my brain.
Yes I had this same thing, starting with sinus infections. Is there a nasal spray that helps with sinus inflammation?

tiredowl

Look into mollarets meningitis which is generally caused by herpes 2 virus and varicella zoster. Id guess these others could be implicated also.
Interesting. Seems many of the symptoms are similar to CFS, especially the light sensitivity. What would treatment be for something like this?

Yes I had this same thing, starting with sinus infections. Is there a nasal spray that helps with sinus inflammation?
have you tried a neti pot with sea salt or beautiful pink himalayan rock salt (bias towards beauty as value-added it seems to the common eye. though, there's a chart about salts and micro-plastic contamination you might want to find if you're a consummate researcher. seems many here!)...? I had this recommended each morning as preventative but add in evenings during flare-up. really helps. also, if esp bad period, cold-mist saline sprays (the neti is warm water which is soothing in its own right) as needed through day...may be an upper limit of 10 or 15/day but can bring relief at fairly regular frequencies.

would be wary of steroid sprays as steroid's are implicated in rosacea which I believe is often a risk with M.E.

keenly

It could be. CFS is caused by anything that can cause CERTAIN people's bodies to go into a protective dauer state. A biological stress response. That POTENTIALLY could be a major infection anywhere on the body.

jpcv

I have sinus problems too, or should I say, I used to have before I got ME.
Every fall/winter I would get 2-4 flu like infections that would affect my sinus.
After I got sick, three years ago, I got just one weak sore throat and nothing else, many patients here have reported the same thing.

The best thing for me was a topical solution of NaCl 0,9% + corticoesterod/antibiotic ( betametasone+gentamicine). three times a day

@tiredowl

halcyon

Hadn’t seen this paper before. It’s kind of bizarre that the author did not reference the two studies that provide direct evidence to support his hypothesis, namely McGarry et al. 1994 and Richardson 2001. Both studies prove the presence of enterovirus in the brains of ME patients, and both were independently replicated by Chia several years back now, though that evidence came after this paper was published. He also failed to reference Innes 1970 which proved the presence of enterovirus in spinal fluid of ME patients.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Interesting. Seems many of the symptoms are similar to CFS, especially the light sensitivity. What would treatment be for something like this?

Antivirals and supportive care like mecfsers with ebv/cmv/hhv6.
It seems hard to diagnose. Even a spinal tap during the active phase can miss it. I have read where people have had these relapses and several spinal taps before they were officially diagnosed.
It wouldn't suprise me if it was cfsme or a sub group.

Martial

have you tried a neti pot with sea salt or beautiful pink himalayan rock salt (bias towards beauty as value-added it seems to the common eye. though, there's a chart about salts and micro-plastic contamination you might want to find if you're a consummate researcher. seems many here!)...? I had this recommended each morning as preventative but add in evenings during flare-up. really helps. also, if esp bad period, cold-mist saline sprays (the neti is warm water which is soothing in its own right) as needed through day...may be an upper limit of 10 or 15/day but can bring relief at fairly regular frequencies.

would be wary of steroid sprays as steroid's are implicated in rosacea which I believe is often a risk with M.E.

Neti Pots are great but always make sure to use Distelled/Sterile water. There are amoebas and certain pathogens in non sterilized water that when absorbed into the sinuses can cross into the brain and can cause deadly illness. Don't mean to sound scary. Its rare but just important to make sure to keep that in mind. Some people are not aware. Also Xlear is a great nasal spray which contains xylitol and grapefruit seed extract. Which can help some people with chronic sinusitis issues to clear out bio films if any bacteria are causing inflammation in the sinuses.

Wayne

Whenever looking at a brain infection, I think it's always good to keep in mind that it could very easily--and very often is--originating from an oral infection. The FOLLOWING BOOK hypothesizes (for good reasons) that many diseases are actually the result of oral spirochetes migrating into the brain. -- There are threads/posts on PR describing recovery from CFS by adequately treating oral infections.

510HW5CiY1L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Martial

Whenever looking at a brain infection, I think it's always good to keep in mind that it could very easily--and very often is--originating from an oral infection. The FOLLOWING BOOK hypothesizes (for good reasons) that many diseases are actually the result of oral spirochetes migrating into the brain. -- There are threads/posts on PR describing recovery from CFS by adequately treating oral infections.

510HW5CiY1L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Did they propose ways in which we can keep the mouth cleaner, and treatments? Looks interesting. I heard about something like this before.

Alesh

I cannot agree more. I have had feeling of sinus infection since the begining. Cracking sounds in sinuses. My ME started like mono. I feel constant "inflammation" on the left of my brain and I have constant rhinorrhea from my left nostril. The stuff is white and thick. After 20 years of observation of my illness I am almost sure it is a brain infection that spreads to the sinuses and also to other surrounding tissues like ears and TMJ.

tiredowl

Did they propose ways in which we can keep the mouth cleaner, and treatments? Looks interesting. I heard about something like this before.
I've read that oil pulling with coconut oil or sesame oil, could help reduce bacteria.

Off topic, how do I reply to just nickname without quoting?