• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is 23andme still worth it?

Sporty

I am strongly inclined to agree. if you do not produce enough ATP (which we don't) then you don't produce enough Dopamine, enough Serotonin, enough Melatonin, enough Triiodotyrosine all of which affect both mood and physical health. The root of all of these things is physical though. On the other hand learning to use your mental resources wisely, learning not to push too hard and self-crash (meaning a slightly less can do will do personality), developing a thicker skin all help to live we one's ME an improve one's chances of recovery.

Mental strategies have a role, a minor role in recovery that is strictly secondary to dealing with a PWMEs physical root cause.

So you think my low mood and my loss of.... Being excited by life is due to mitochondria deficiency? I have noticed recently how my lack of engagement with people and being excited by anything. Do you know what I mean...?

Leopardtail

So you think my low mood and my loss of.... Being excited by life is due to mitochondria deficiency? I have noticed recently how my lack of engagement with people and being excited by anything. Do you know what I mean...?
Yes, I do know how that used to feel. I have noticed significant improvements through nothing more than treating Mito deficiency. The short answer is ATP powers (directly or indirectly) almost every single chemical reaction in the body. This includes making mood hormones.

The people who have done most of the research on mood and ME are those taking a psycho-somatic view of the disease which means the research has been very poor. They have established that we are low on most of the major mood hormones though, so yes it seems likely that low ATP is the cause of the problem. I found this used to make me feel flat and insipid. This improved (for me) quite quickly

Sporty

Yes, I do know how that used to feel. I have noticed significant improvements through nothing more than treating Mito deficiency. The short answer is ATP powers (directly or indirectly) almost every single chemical reaction in the body. This includes making mood hormones.

The people who have done most of the research on mood and ME are those taking a psycho-somatic view of the disease which means the research has been very poor. They have established that we are low on most of the major mood hormones though, so yes it seems likely that low ATP is the cause of the problem. I found this used to make me feel flat and insipid. This improved (for me) quite quickly

Oh this is interesting! I've recently been noticing I have periods of flatness, where I am indifferent to most things in life. I wouldn't saying am depressed at all but I lack that excitement I used to get about some things in life. I also go emotionally flat with my partner. Like I have no feelings.......and then they come back for a while. It's very odd. So I appear to go in cycles with it. Things have improved a bit since the very beginning but still I have this flat periods. At the beginning I struggled to deal with anyone, but at least now I can, at times, joke with work mates etc.

I've been 12 weeks on the mito supplements but alas still flat. Slightly better over all but lacking the holy grail of energy! The way dr Myhill explains it is the brain uses the most energy so perhaps that's the last thing to come up to speed? I still have the brain fog but not as bad.

How are you now? What did you take to come back to feeling human again?!