• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iodine supplementation

Hi

My question is related to Iodine supplementation, I just started taking 4 to 8 drops of 4%+2%, ~12mg to 24mg daily. I do have iodine symptoms - poor cognition, lost drive/motivation, poor memory, lower iq, low energy. All these happened in last 3 years.

I have done many many blood tests in last 3 years and all showed normal thyroid levels. No doctor said anything wrong with my thyroid so I never thought of about iodine. Google searches and all the posts are just talking about Iodine for thyroid, and why it is important for children. There is no sufficient info on cognition in adults and energy from iodine.

I think my thyroid are ok because I have the bare minimum intake of iodine, and thyroid stores are sufficient, to sustain even on low doses from their low need.
But other body parts store iodine too. their stores are depleted if you use them exhaustively. As in too much psychological, cognitive stress for a long time will deplete iodine stores in the brain. but not in the thyroid so the hormone results come out ok, yet cognitions declines seriously.

How long it takes to recover cognition completely in adults?
I noticed a tiny difference in just two days, reduced brain fog.
I am curious about Iodines ability to fully recover adult cognition caused by deficiency. And is there permanent damage possible in adults' cognition from long-term iodine deficieny of a couple of years?
In other words, how long will take to replenish all body parts with iodine so that energy can come back?

Thanks

Eastman

For someone without a confirmed deficiency or thyroid dysfunction, you're taking a lot of iodine. The tolerable upper limit is just 1,100 mcg.

From what I am aware, in the case of dementia due to a hypothyroid condition, treating the thyroid may prevent further deterioration but does not always reverse the dementia.

Richard7

@newuser22

I do not really know the answer. When I was reading up on it a couple of years ago I remember that doctors who were measuring it were supplementing with largeish doses or Iodoral or Lugol's solution with co factors (B1, B2, B3 selenium, manganese and salt and vitamin C from memory) and taking it until something like 95% of the iodine ingested was excreted in urine.

Personally I take iodine at those sorts of doses from time to time when I have a particularly sore throat. I find that I get a string desire for it take it for a few weeks and stop when I no longer desire it. The sore throat usually disapears after a week of supplementation.

I am not really concerned about the upper limits as Myhill and other have pointed out that dietary averages in Japan are several mg/day every day and that clinical doses used to be around a gram before people started worrying about hashimoto's.

But I worked up slowly and would have stopped and taken no more if the consequences were bad.

it might be worth looking up the iodoral site and reading the papers they link to. http://www.optimox.com/iodine-research

Eastman

I am not really concerned about the upper limits as Myhill and other have pointed out that dietary averages in Japan are several mg/day every day and that clinical doses used to be around a gram before people started worrying about hashimoto's.

The assertion that the Japanese take several mg/day of iodine is actually a matter of considerable debate, sparked largely by Alan Gaby's editorial at Townsend Letter.

Among later studies, one, Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis, concluded that the average Japanese iodine intake was 1,000-3,000 mcg/day, well below the 13.8 mg/day often cited to support high-dose iodine supplementation and well below the amount that newuser22 is taking.

Another study, albeit in metropolitan areas, found a median iodine daily intake of just 257.7 mcg/day.

The upper limit for iodine intake recommended by the Japanese Ministry of Health is 3,000 mcg/day.

This is not to say that newuser22's supplementation regime is necessarily useless or unsafe, only to question its prudence in the absence of other information on his condition.

After a month, not fully recovered in my brain health. Iodine has helped to a certain extent, not fully.
Just this week discovered that I am also low on Boron. Boron is responsible for cognitive health. I took Boron supplement and instantly in 15 mins my brain got clarity, perception, attention improved. Still, it not enough seems like I am low on a series of things. Iodine, Boron, then Lithium is next.
Meanwhile, my doctor ordered an all elemental test, waiting for the results in few weeks.

Kitsune

So if you are low in iodine and this is perhaps contributing to CFS symptoms, what kind of dose should you aim for? I'm finding this very confusing. I have some Solgar kelp tablets that are 200mcg each, which apparently is the legal limit in the US (though I live in the UK, Solgar is a brand I trust and so decided to try that). But people here are talking about doses of many times this amount. I am hypothyroid, but I don't want to overdo things to the point where I could be doing myself serious damage. It's early days, but it looks like iodine supplementation may help me - if I get the dose somewhere in the ballpark.

I solved my lethargy and fatigue after taking iodine. Obviously, we need other nutrition too, support for adrenal, calories to burn.
Adrenal and Thyroid work together as a team to keep the body energized. One is churning and the other is burning. I took 2 drops of Lugol's solution, ~3mg. And It made an instant difference, took ~1 month to remove the iodine deficiency from thyroid. Going slow is a good, start with ~500mcg then increase slowly. I took Kelp but it made no significant difference, RDI 300mcg is too low to fill the void. Overall mineral balance is required - chromium, manganese etc.

Jigsaw

After a month, not fully recovered in my brain health. Iodine has helped to a certain extent, not fully.
Just this week discovered that I am also low on Boron. Boron is responsible for cognitive health. I took Boron supplement and instantly in 15 mins my brain got clarity, perception, attention improved. Still, it not enough seems like I am low on a series of things. Iodine, Boron, then Lithium is next.
Meanwhile, my doctor ordered an all elemental test, waiting for the results in few weeks.
@newuser22
Boron is better known as the mineral that carries the instruction for the body to repair damage to jointsc- cartilage and bone. Can you point me to some references on this other function, please?

Eastman

@newuser22
Boron is better known as the mineral that carries the instruction for the body to repair damage to jointsc- cartilage and bone. Can you point me to some references on this other function, please?

Not newuser22, but I did find this study:

The importance of boron nutrition for brain and psychological function.

Abstract
Boron (B) nutriture has been related to bone, mineral and lipid metabolism, energy utilization, and immune function. As evidence accumulates that B is essential for humans, it is important to consider possible relationships between B nutriture and brain and psychological function. Five studies conducted in our laboratory are reviewed. Assessments of brain electrical activity in both animals and humans found that B deprivation results in decreased brain electrical activity similar to that observed in nonspecific malnutrition. Assessments of cognitive and psychomotor function in humans found that B deprivation results in poorer performance on tasks of motor speed and dexterity, attention, and short-term memory. However, little support was found for anecdotal reports that supplementation with physiologic amounts of B helps alleviate the somatic and psychological symptoms of menopause. Parallels between nutritional and toxicological effects of B on brain and psychological function are presented, and possible biological mechanisms for dietary effects are reviewed. Findings support the hypothesis that B nutriture is important for brain and psychological function in humans.

@newuser22

Is the boron still helping your cognition?

Gondwanaland

@newuser22

I personally got a cognition boost when I tried boron back in 2015. I had to stop taking it due to pain in parathyroids. I suppose it is somehow synergistic with sex hormones testosterone / estrogen? My estrogen was already low back then due to progesterone replacement, so perhaps this is why I didn't get a sustained effect?

So many questions...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
My notes (from this forum) say that boron raises estrogen, more specifically Estrodial which is one of the estrogens associated with breast cancer. I can't speak to the accuracy of that.

jlynx

I have started taking Lugol's Iodine a little less than a month ago. I ramped up pretty quickly starting at 50 mg, and just a few days ago started 100 mg. I pulse dose 5 days on, 2 off. I was deficient in Iodine in a blood test, and I also have thyroid issues- high reverse T3. Taking T3 hormone did not help me feel better at all.

I am definitely detoxing as I've been getting acne breakouts in strange places like my shoulders, legs, and back. I am also more fatigued and need more sleep. But on the second week I had noticeable improvements in mood, energy and brain fog, so I'm hoping I will have improvements again soon. My eyes seem to be less puffy and swollen, and I was told they look clearer.

This is a great link: http://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-content...plementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf

Are you taking the required supporting nutrients?

1. Vitamin C – 2,000 – 5,000 mgs / day – supports the symporters and assists as an antioxidant to detoxing.
  2. Selenium – 200 – 400 mcg / day – needed for detoxification and thyroid hormone creation.
  3. Unrefined salt (Celtic) – 1⁄2 tsp / day – supports adrenals, binds to bromide and assists in removal, supports symporters (sodium iodine symporters or NIS)
  4. Magnesium – 400 mgs / day – critical for over 300 enzyme reactions in the body.
  5. Optional – ATP CoFactors -1 tablet 2x / day – when individuals continue to feel fatigued or have autoimmune thyroid disease this product can assist in increasing ATP (energy) within the cells. Riboflavin and no-flush niacin.
I'm not sure about your questions, but as far as how long it can take to replenish stores, I've read it will take 6 months at 50 mg to reach 90% saturation. When you are deficient in Iodine many go through a detox period where they detox bromides. I've read a lot of interesting info about Iodine and how it's a common deficiency in a large population and causes many ailments and diseases like breast cancer and has even successfully treated it: http://jeffreydachmd.com/iodine-treats-breast-cancer/ . You are right that the entire body needs Iodine. The FDA upper limit is complete bogus, and I wouldn't be afraid of trying a higher dose. Curezone is a great resource for Iodine supplementation, and there are a lot of testimonials on there. I'm hoping it's at least a big piece of the puzzle for me (but probably not the only piece).

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I am definitely detoxing as I've been getting acne breakouts in strange places like my shoulders, legs, and back.
Iodine is known to cause acne.
There are some discussions regarding the relationship between acne and iodine if you google acne and iodine.

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.jaad.2005.05.046
It is well established that iodine intake can exacerbate acne. (2)
2. Hitch JM. Acneform eruptions induced by drugs and chemicals.
JAMA 1967;200:879-80

Jigsaw

I personally got a cognition boost when I tried boron back in 2015. I had to stop taking it due to pain in parathyroids. I suppose it is somehow synergistic with sex hormones testosterone / estrogen? My estrogen was already low back then due to progesterone replacement, so perhaps this is why I didn't get a sustained effect?

So many questions...
Hi @Gondwanaland

I'm still not understanding the relationship between boron and oestrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.

The only thing I can think of, knowing that boron instructs the body to repair damage to bones and cartilage in joints, is that oestrogen builds new bone cells (osteoblasts) and progesterone makes osteoclasts, which clear away old bone so that new bone can be laid down on secure foundations.

-Your oestrogen shouldn't have been low due to progesterone.....As discussed previously, they should balance each other out. If you had low oestrogen to start with, for whatever reason, progesterone would have facilitated your body picking up any available oestrogen to the benefit of your hormone balance.

Remember, too, that blood tests can't show what's getting into your cells, only what is in your bloodstream. Obviously, if even blood levels are low, it would seem to indicate that cells are sucking it up as fast as they can get it, which, with low blood levels certainly looks like overall low oestrogen as there should be enough left over to show as more decent levels in your bloodstream after tissues have taken what they need.

Not applicable to you with your low oestrogen blood tests, but with high levels on blood test results, that doesn't necessarily mean your cell and tissue levels are high, because again, what's in your blood isn't necessarily an accurate reflection of what's actually getting into your cells. If there's any receptor resistance, you often end up with high blood values in the presence of deficiency as far as your cells and body are concerned.

My notes (from this forum) say that boron raises estrogen, more specifically Estrodial which is one of the estrogens associated with breast cancer. I can't speak to the accuracy of that.
Hi @Little Bluestem,
Thanks for that :)

I'm not saying that boron doesn't impact oestradiol (which is the main, if not the only, oestrogen that drives the oestrogen cancers - I always remember that because of the D in oestradiol standing for Danger) only that I don't know the mechanism by which this would happen.

If you can point me towards the place you found that info, I'd be grateful. Always looking to learn new things and add more pieces of the puzzle into my jigsaw :)

Last edited:

Jigsaw

Only if you listen to the "FDA" in the U.S. In Japan, government/medical industry has 3,000 mcg as the upper range.
@Eastman, @South

The Japanese dietary intake of iodine is widely cited as being 12-13MG a day, which is also widely believed to be the reason they have far, far less prostate and breast cancer than the west.

(Although there is also correlation between their almost total lack of dairy produce and lack of prostate and breast cancers. Apparently, in Japan (and possibly China, I haven't read Jane Plant's book on this subject for ages), breast cancer is called ""Rich Woman's Disease", because only the wealthy deviate from the standard diet there, and use dairy products. But that's a whole other thread :) )

Governments and "medical industry" have their own agenda when it comes to setting RDAs. And it has remarkably little to do with keeping us healthy.

Jigsaw

Hi
I have started taking Lugol's Iodine a little less than a month ago. I ramped up pretty quickly starting at 50 mg, and just a few days ago started 100 mg. I pulse dose 5 days on, 2 off. I was deficient in Iodine in a blood test, and I also have thyroid issues- high reverse T3. Taking T3 hormone did not help me feel better at all.

I am definitely detoxing as I've been getting acne breakouts in strange places like my shoulders, legs, and back. I am also more fatigued and need more sleep. But on the second week I had noticeable improvements in mood, energy and brain fog, so I'm hoping I will have improvements again soon. My eyes seem to be less puffy and swollen, and I was told they look clearer.

This is a great link: http://jeffreydachmd.com/wp-content...plementing-with-Iodine-Stephanie-Burst-ND.pdf

1. Vitamin C – 2,000 – 5,000 mgs / day – supports the symporters and assists as an antioxidant to detoxing.
  2. Selenium – 200 – 400 mcg / day – needed for detoxification and thyroid hormone creation.
  3. Unrefined salt (Celtic) – 1⁄2 tsp / day – supports adrenals, binds to bromide and assists in removal, supports symporters (sodium iodine symporters or NIS)
  4. Magnesium – 400 mgs / day – critical for over 300 enzyme reactions in the body.
  5. Optional – ATP CoFactors -1 tablet 2x / day – when individuals continue to feel fatigued or have autoimmune thyroid disease this product can assist in increasing ATP (energy) within the cells. Riboflavin and no-flush niacin.
I'm not sure about your questions, but as far as how long it can take to replenish stores, I've read it will take 6 months at 50 mg to reach 90% saturation. When you are deficient in Iodine many go through a detox period where they detox bromides. I've read a lot of interesting info about Iodine and how it's a common deficiency in a large population and causes many ailments and diseases like breast cancer and has even successfully treated it: http://jeffreydachmd.com/iodine-treats-breast-cancer/ . You are right that the entire body needs Iodine. The FDA upper limit is complete bogus, and I wouldn't be afraid of trying a higher dose. Curezone is a great resource for Iodine supplementation, and there are a lot of testimonials on there. I'm hoping it's at least a big piece of the puzzle for me (but probably not the only piece).

Hi @jlynx,

Thanks for your reply :)

Acne on shoulders and back in particular, plus face (not sure about thighs) can also be caused by relatively high testosterone levels compared to other hormones. It's possible that the iodine is starting to stir things up, and you're going through a period of hormonal instability because of iodine increasing T4 and T3.

High RT3 is an indication that your cells aren't accepting the T3 readily, so it's being ejected. It's a shame no-one seems to do the old T3 uptake test anymore - I know it was available in the UK up until about 1996 is, because that was the last time I was able to get one done (I pick up practically nothing. I've been on 100mcg/d for more than 10 years.)

Which Lugol's are you using? There are so many different versions.

My eyes seem to be less puffy and swollen, and I was told they look clearer.
That would be nice :) I wake up with puffy upper eyelids every day, and I don't even drink! Peri-orbital oedema is considered to be a standard hypothyroid sign, ditto fatigue (etc) so it sounds as though it's definitely helping your thyroid processes.

am also more fatigued and need more sleep.
Anything that makes your immune system work harder than at its usual maintenance level will make you tired. If you're detoxing, your liver in particular will be working very hard (your liver is around 1/3 of your immune system) and that will definitely make you more fatigued and make you sleep more. Sometimes MUCH more, like 14-16-20 hours a day. Truly.

Lol, does a bear poop in the woods? :D
Been doing all that before the Lugol's arrived today. Using organic sea-salt, and find that has made a big difference, even before starting the iodine. Might try my pink Himalayan salt. Can't believe the salt alone has made such a difference, but one blog I read claimed that it was "impossible to remove bromides from the body without investing unrefined salt," so maybe starting the salt before the iodine has given my system a tiny head-start.

Already take FMN, P5P, selenium, B3 (n'mide and flushing niacin too, the latter reduces cholesterol very efficiently), more than 400 mag as citrate and mag mal, and I always take a ton of C (C.8g/d). I'm prepared for starting the iodine :)

I've read it will take 6 months at 50 mg to reach 90% saturation.
Amount, time, detox reactions, etc, will all depend on how deficient the individual is to start with. 6 months at 50mg/d to reach 90% repletion seems a little excessive to me, but could easily be true. Can you think where you saw that, please? I'd be interested to see it :)

I'm planning on starting with 2% at 1 drop and waiting to see how I react. I'm stupidly hypersensitive. 1 do @2% is approx 1mg iodine and 2mg potassium iodide, so 3mg total, and I think that's more than high enough for this delicate little flower to start with! (At those repletion figures you gave, it'll only take me around 20 years....... :rolleyes: Not really, I'll be titrating in line with my system's response, obvs)

a detox period where they detox bromides.
And fluorides and any other halides that might be lurking :) This is why the detox can be so rough if you don't start low and go slowly because bromide and fluorides occupy the same sites that iodide does, so those get displaced (quite rightly) by putting iodine/iodide in.

The iodine/iodide displaces the bromide and fluorides that has been squatting there for years. The iodine/iodide being back in their rightful place in the thyroid gland then means better thyroid function, better peripheral T4-T3 conversion, better gut integrity (prevents leaky gut by killing off pathogens in there), better immunity (I'm told that a lot of iodine/iodide lives in the nasal passages to kill off airborne pathogens, which makes sense to me), and because of increasing/improving hypothyroid issues, metabolic rate will also increase.

Thanks for the link, will read through everything later.

I'm hoping it's at least a big piece of the puzzle for me (but probably not the only piece)
Me too. Look at my user name! ;)

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

only that I don't know the mechanism by which this would happen
I have been suspecting of glycation (sorry I don't know the mechanism!).
The Japanese dietary intake of iodine is widely cited as being 12-13MG a day
I believe they are in a different nutritional context. Eating lots of fish they also have a higher B12 intake, therefore need more iodine. People who live in Alaska need more W3... Once I read somewhere that soil composition select for lactose intolerant people due to hypercalcemia risk...
The huge problem with us westerners is that our food chain is tainted with excess sugar, HFCS and refined flours, which undermines our energy production :(
High RT3 is an indication that your cells aren't accepting the T3 readily
I have already experienced high RT3 with 2 different causes:
1) lowered RT3 by taking supplemental Selenium
2) lowered RT3 by reducing T4 replacement
So I think it can be caused by both lack and excess T3. :confused: