• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intolerance to B6, B5

Lou

This has probably been discussed elsewhere, but I can't find it. Both b6 and b5 make me feel worse, a lot worse, and this makes following one of the B protocols problematic.

What's the deal for some of us with the B6 and B5? Anyone know? Thanks.

All the best,

Lou

place

Be Strong!
I have issues with yeast. Many of the b supplements are made of yeast and by day two I feel horrible.

ukxmrv

I noticed that I could not tolerate B multi-vitamins. They made me feel really sick. A toxic feeling with nausea.

Vit B6 is one I cannot tolerate in one form (the common one in supplements). It's only when I've taken it as the active form that it has a good effect on me.

Sorry that I don't have any more information. Terrible brain fog at the moment.

Lou

Thanks place and ukxmrv. Makes sense, I've had seborreic dermatitis in past and that's a fungal problem so perhaps it is the yeast connection.

ukxmrv, when you speak of active b6 are you referring to b6 found only in food, or like methyl b12, is there an active form of b6 supplement? Thanks.

richvank

Hi, Lou.
The active form of vitamin B6 is P5P. Taking that as a supplement may cause fewer reactions, because it is more refined. However, in order for it to be used by the cells, there still must be enough B2 available. The reason is that a phosphate group is removed from P5P when it is absorbed by the gut, then the liver puts a phosphate group back on and it goes into the circulating blood. Before it can be diffused into cells, the phosphate group must be removed by tissue nonspecific alkaline phosphatase, an ectoenzyme (that means it is attached to the outside of cells). Then it diffuses into the cell, and B2 is needed inside the cell to put the phosphate group back on, so that P5P can serve as a coenzyme for various reactions in the cell. So my point is, make sure you have enough B2, also. Best regards, Rich

Lou

Hi, Lou.
The active form of vitamin B6 is P5P. Taking that as a supplement may cause fewer reactions, because it is more refined. However, in order for it to be used by the cells, there still must be enough B2 available. The reason is that a phosphate group is removed from P5P when it is absorbed by the gut, then the liver puts a phosphate group back on and it goes into the circulating blood. Before it can be diffused into cells, the phosphate group must be removed by tissue nonspecific alkaline phosphatase, an ectoenzyme (that means it is attached to the outside of cells). Then it diffuses into the cell, and B2 is needed inside the cell to put the phosphate group back on, so that P5P can serve as a coenzyme for various reactions in the cell. So my point is, make sure you have enough B2, also. Best regards, Rich

Thanks, Rich, I'll try that form. For last couple of months I've added approx 15-20 mgs b2 with each meal, however I suspect having been deficient a long time and perhaps it will take considerable time to replendish to normal levels.