• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interpreting HLA-DR test results

Valentijn

He uses the HLA tests to get an insight into which neurotoxin might be your particular Achilles' heal.
I'm afraid that isn't true at all. There is no published research showing that any specific HLA haplotypes are associated with specific mold, ME/CFS, or other susceptibilities as Shoemaker clams.

That's a very common combo in people with our illness, so you would not be alone.
The "susceptible" haplotypes listed by Shoemaker are extremely common in every Caucasian. His conclusions are the result of him inappropriately comparing his local patient HLA types against international HLA types, which vary greatly based on ethnic origins.

I can't comment on Shoemaker's other work, but based on the standard of his HLA "research", I wouldn't believe anything he says unless there is a better source verifying it.

Valentijn

@Valentijn, Dr. Shoemaker was a practicing physician, not a researcher.
Well, he did unpublished research of extremely poor quality, so I don't think it's completely accurate to say he's not a researcher. And he relies on that unpublished research to support his claims.

Or maybe I don't understand the point of your response?