• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

International M.E. Association site updates

I will post here the updates on this website.

August 2011

July 2011

June 2011

May 2011

Unknown date (May - July 2011)

lansbergen

santi; [url said:
http://www.imeassoc.com/New[/url] evidence: Human gamma retroviruses have too large a sequence diversity to be a lab contaminant

XMRV is a colloquial name for a xenotropic polytopic gammaretrovirus. Polytropic and modified polytropic gammas have also been detected in over 90% of patients with ME, but as yet have no colloquial name.

A small group of retrovirologists, including John Coffin, Myra McClure and Greg Towers, are convinced that these viruses cannot infect humans. They have been attempting to prove their belief that this discovery represents nothing but laboratory contamination.

One of the gamma retroviruses discovered shows very little sequence variation in one of its genes in the three isolates sequenced thus far, but a thousand positive findings have not yet been fully sequenced. This has been used as evidence that the virus is the product of a lab experiment and perfectly harmless, despite its proven ability to induce an immune response in human subjects. However, it now emerges that the virus detected in some people is showing considerable sequence variation, which the contamination belief cannot account for.

The following sequence has now been entered into the Genbank.

Partial molecular cloning with novel consensus PCR primers of the murine JHK retrovirus of human origin, a variant of the Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV)

Xenotropic MuLV-related virus 5' LTR, partial sequence; and gag protein (gag) gene, partial cds

GenBank: HM119591.1
Halligan,B.D., Sun,H.-Y., Cashdollar,L.W., Kushnaryov,V.M. and Grossberg,S.E.

This new sequence, along with the new complete proviral genome, isolate S-162 from Lithuania, the recent addition of sequences from the Bill Switzer at the CDC, and the polytropic and modified polytriopic sequences from the WPI, greatly increases the diversity of these viruses.

John Coffins study, Recombinant Origin of the Retrovirus XMRV (Paprotka, 2011), cannot explain human gamma retrovirus sequences with variation of this magnitude. The conclusions in Paprotka et al. are clearly wrong.

The paper needs investigating as glaring flaws in methodology have already been revealed.

This easily explains why the people who set their assays to detect VP-62 were unable to detect wild-type virus.

International ME Association

3rd August 2011

Desdinova

Now, as I say, theres a whole page on our booklet on XMRV. I wont go into that detail now, but very briefly the most current situation in relation to XMRV is weve had now about 6. Theyre not replication studies, people trying to replicate the findings. But weve had about 6 validation studies which have failed to find XMRV in patients with ME, err ME/CFS from various parts of the world.

So they're called validation studies now. LOL at least he didn't go so far as to call them replication studies. At least we now know where he stands on this and ME/CFS in general.

eric_s

I see you're from Spain, Santi. Are you a member of this association? I'm asking because i don't know how many members they have and from what countries. I know they have members from the UK and USA.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Thank you, Santi, for this information. Regarding "In 1999 mouse contamination was widespread and known to infect human cells." This was just so very very sad. I can't believe a person (Mr. Coffin) could say what he has said about us and XMRV with such callous disregard and know the whole time that XMRV infecting humans was always a possibility. If you haven't read this, please do. I don't know what else to say.