• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intermittent fasting and CFS/ME?

Thank you for that extensive answer! @Basilico

When I was younger I was also a 'natural' intermittent faster. I skipped breakfast all the time... I don't know myself if it made a difference but I was young so of course I didn't pay attention.

Learner1

Calorie restriction could be beneficial, but the form of fasting I'm really interested in is complete water fasting for a period of 48-72 hours, which triggers ketosis. It seems that this form of fasting has the potential to "regenerate" the immune system (source).

The problem when I tried this form of fasting was that it left me very weak, dizzy and with palpitations from around the 30th hour onwards, which meant I had to stop before the 48 hour mark.
Water fasting can cause tissue to break down releasing toxins that have been sequestered in your fat, contributing to your symptoms.

Of course, it can also lower your blood sugar producing symptoms.

Our bodies need nutrients. The IF program is a sensible way to go, if one wants to try fasting. Its easy to implement and there's opportunity for adequate nutrient intake.

Mij

I eat my largest meal of the day in the morning and eat less as the day goes along.

I try not to eat after 6 p.m and that awful grinding hunger disappears after a few days and I feel a little more energetic.

ghosalb

I eat my largest meal of the day in the morning and eat less as the day goes along.

I try not to eat after 6 p.m and that awful grinding hunger disappears after a few days and I feel a little more energetic.
I just learned that Japanese do the same thing...largest in the morning...makes lot of sense after such a long break after dinner.

JES

Water fasting can cause tissue to break down releasing toxins that have been sequestered in your fat, contributing to your symptoms.

Of course, it can also lower your blood sugar producing symptoms.

Our bodies need nutrients. The IF program is a sensible way to go, if one wants to try fasting. Its easy to implement and there's opportunity for adequate nutrient intake.

True and I wouldn't recommend a 2-3 day water fast for someone with CFS/ME to begin with. The only reason I'm interested in it is the immune system "flip" that supposedly happens with this type of prolonged fasting, where the WBC count temporarily goes down during the fast and then returns back when the stem cells regenerate new ones. With a 5:2 diet it's harder to achieve this type of regeneration of the immune system, but I suppose it would be good for other purposes.

Learner1

True and I wouldn't recommend a 2-3 day water fast for someone with CFS/ME to begin with. The only reason I'm interested in it is the immune system "flip" that supposedly happens with this type of prolonged fasting, where the WBC count temporarily goes down during the fast and then returns back when the stem cells regenerate new ones. With a 5:2 diet it's harder to achieve this type of regeneration of the immune system, but I suppose it would be good for other purposes.
I doubt anything is going to rebuild my dysfunctional immune system in 3 days.

I've been on every immunomodulator there is and my doctor is very into prescribing different diets for different problems, and he doesn't think it'd help me.

But who knows?

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I have done a couple of 48 hour fasts (although I do take milk in my coffee - sorry it is just too vile black) and I think these have given me a bit "extra" above my current normal. (Oh and I did one 68 hour fast but I won't do that again I think. :p )

But I've found the 48 hour fasts difficult to do, so now I just do 36 hour fasts which for me are much easier. For a 36 hour fast I eat dinner one night, go all next day on just drinks (inc milk in coffee, and some extra salt) then eat breakfast morning after.

I aim to do a couple of these a week, but that is variable to be honest. Some-times I just do the one meal a day thing, thus a 24 hour fast. I'm not very good on rigid routines, so it all gets mixed up a bit.

And yes I eat well in between the longer fasts. I generally aim for a low sugar diet, with not too many carbs. I don't avoid fatty foods, so I eat eggs, cheese, butter, bacon etc.

For whatever reason this just makes me feel less 'flu-ish - like it is helping to control something within my body. Perhaps that is just my experience, but for now it is making a difference for me, so I keep doing it.