• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intermittent fasting (5/2 diet) and anti-inflammatory effects: likely benefits for ME?

ghosalb

If you watch Dr Joel Furman on PBS, he recommends long breaks between meal (instead of fasting)...also your salad as your main course (for high nutrients) and carb/meat etc. as your side dish. No snacks between meals because after we eat, body goes into food digestion mode and once food is digested, body goes into cell repair mode (as Shasa mentioned before). If you snack, it never gets go into cell repair mode. I have done this now for 2 years now... not as hungry as before...hypoglycemia almost gone....brain more clear and calm....lost weight from 155 to 135 and maintaining. Because my body has more nutrients, it can handle fasting longer now. If you need help w diet, one can try this :
breakfast : cooked oat with strawberry and blueberries plus green tea
Lunch : cooked kale or chard with wild rice and spicy lentil (more veg. than rice or lentil) plus one banana
Dinner : One tortilla bread with raw walnut spread, some seed spread, mustard spread and lot of green lettuce plus avocado slices and a glass of vegetable juice. One can replace walnut/avocado etc. with meat or fish. I just decided to go vegan to avoid cooking meat and fish.
Before bed : a cup of vegetable curry and one banana.
You will notice very little carb and vegetable protein only. It was difficult to get rid of carb craving but now I don't crave it.
I try to give 12 hr gap between last meal and breakfast. There is some research that says if one gives 12 hrs. gap between two meals then one can eat almost anything rest of the time to get benefits of fasting. I saw that show about fasting on BBC (it was shown on PBS) and then when I listened to Dr. Furman later, it made lot of sense. Dr Furman had said one can see effect in a month and he was right.