• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interestink link between gut inflammation - immune system - insomnia

Hope78

Hi!

For two years now I am searching for the main reason why I can't sleep. Stress is not the only one.
Once I eliminated igG4 foods my sleep improved about 50 %. Never the less I am suffering from insomnia, waking up after several hours not being able to go back to sleep, and: feeling kind of "poisoned".
Last night I was wide awake again and surfed the www for gut issues when I found this page (very informative and well explained):
http://gutcritters.com/why-cant-i-sleep-part-two-leaky-gut-endotoxemia-and-inflammation/
I am pretty sure that's true in my case.

frederic83

It is the inflammation in your gut that is causing inflammation in your brain that is causing your circadian rhythm to upset.

Old Bones

@Hope78 After embarking on the GAPS diet, which eliminated virtually all of the foods considered best for feeding healthy gut bacteria, my sleep quality (and that of my husband) deteriorated dramatically. Once we added a few "safe starches" back, our sleep improved. Despite having spent many months researching gut issues, I didn't find the website you referenced. It appears to be an excellent resource. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention.

frederic83

It is possible that the safe starches induce serotonin or help with your blood sugar. That's normal if you have an enterovirus infection when your body is out of whack. Some forms of chocolate help me for example. I tried the GAPS diet, it is tricky for impaired digestive track. I designed my own diet with time.

Womble

I have a similar problem, can only sleep when I take probiotics, but probiotic makes me tired and might be aggravating other symptoms.