• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting VDR Variations

btdt

rs11574115...T362I...A?...rare (Unknown Effect)

from the first post supposedly to my eye copied in a different post #6 as this rs11574115...T362I...G

Has anymore been learned of this gene snippet... from the first page list this is the only one that is in orange that I have.. I did not check the non orange ones... mine is GG
Is there some confusion about this one or does it just remain unknown?

alicec

rs11574115...T362I...A?...rare (Unknown Effect)

from the first post supposedly to my eye copied in a different post #6 as this rs11574115...T362I...G

Has anymore been learned of this gene snippet... from the first page list this is the only one that is in orange that I have.. I did not check the non orange ones... mine is GG
Is there some confusion about this one or does it just remain unknown?

The G is a mistake, corrected to A. See post 26.

Here is the dbSNP entry for rs11574115. As you can see, A is the minor allele. There is only one reference provided and it didn't find anything about the SNP, so even though the nucleotide change results in change to the protein, there is no evidence that this has any consequence.

btdt

@alicec I did check the link and due to my lack of knowledge am still no further ahead improving my knowledge would be the best option tho it is unlikely in my given state. I do not understand the page referenced.
one more clarifying question since rs11574115 A is a mistake does that mean that the GG version I have is not an issue as it did not make the page?

alicec

does that mean that the GG version I have is not an issue as it did not make the page?

GG is the normal version of the gene shared by almost everyone so definitely nothing to worry about. The A allele is the very rare variant but it does not appear to have any significant effect. So this SNP is not important.

There are plenty of simplified genetics courses around that will help you to better understand SNPs. Look for things from reputable sources like universities. Don't just accept all the misinformation proliferating on the internet.

Hi everyone, I posted this as a separate thread, but will add it in here as I can see this is where those with the knowledge about VDR issues have been...

I have been looking at my daughter's VDR results and would love some help with interpreting them. She has rs1544410 - VDR Bsm TT on the positive strand, so AA.
rs731236 - VDR Taq GG on the positive strand, so CC

These are two of the three from the Yasko page on SNPedia. The third wasn't in the results we have from her testing. I see there are a lot more which are listed and have looked at a lot but found she is normal for those.

I'm a bit lost as to what this means for her. Would she have less receptors or less efficient receptors, would she still produce Vitamin D from sun exposure? I'm not sure which are considered the risk alleles and how the two together would be affecting her, especially in terms of her bone health as she is 12 and currently growing quickly.

Thank You for any help you are able to offer me!