• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Test Results from Dr. Komaroff

soxfan

I had a consultation with Dr. Komaroff in Boston back in March 2011. At that visit he took some blood samples for various tests including some spare blood and saliva for future testing. I had no idea what that testing was until I recently received a letter in the mail from his office.

Apparently they were testing my blood and saliva for HHV-6 and K-18 (HERV-K18). The letter stated that HERVK18 makes a protein that activates the immune system and that this is turned on in cells infected with HHV6.
The purpose of the study was to see if patients with CFS had HHV6 reactivated in the saliva and if HERVK18 was turned on in the white blood cells.

Bottom line is there was no evidence of an active HHV6 infection in my saliva and the HERVK18 gene in my WBC was not turned on.

This study is going to be published in the next few months..don't know where. Anyway maybe this will become more of a mainstream test...

*GG*

Interesting, guess this narrows it down a little. I thought you were going to say you had some positive tests!

GG

PS I know of a study going on in Boston, if you are interested, not sure if they are still recruiting?

soxfan

I think because I had such high HHV 6 antibody titters they wanted to check if it was an re activated infection. My test result for blood was 21.44 with greater than 1.10 being high. He wouldn't treat me because he wasn't sure if it was old or active infection. So now we have the answer. At the time I was seeing him he was not using anti virals at all. I am not sure if that has changed.

Thanks GG but I am done with testing..I have had enough of them in the past 8 years ...The only positive tests I had from Dr. K were positive Elisa..high EBV and HHV6 tigers.

soxfan

I am not sure he is ruling it out as he said he couldn't conclusively diagnose me with it at my consultation..I didnt really fit the CDC criteria even though I had many symptoms ...