• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting: Nature: Sleep disturbances may be an early sign of neurodegenerative diseases

Firestormm

Nature | Outlook
Neurodegeneration: Amyloid awakenings

Moheb Costandi

Published online22 May 2013
Sleep disturbances may be an early sign of neurodegenerative diseases — but could sleep deficits cause these conditions in the first place?

...So sleep disturbances might be one of the earliest manifestations of Alzheimer's disease, raising the tantalizing possibility of early intervention to help prevent or slow the inevitable march into the cognitive fog.

Sleep disturbances might be an early sign of other neurodegenerative conditions as well. Last year, Roxanne Sterniczuk, a neuroscientist at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada, looked at data collected from approximately 14,600 people as part of the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE), a long-term study of people aged 50 and over across 12 countries.

People who experienced sleep disturbances were more likely to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's within two to four years, according to the SHARE data. In particular, increased daytime sleepiness was the best predictor of the disease. The data also showed that daytime fatigue, a sleep disturbance that leads to exhaustion during the day, predicted those who went on to develop Parkinson's disease.

Parkinson's involves the progressive degeneration of midbrain neurons that produce dopamine — a neurotransmitter involved in regulating the sleep–wake switch. The drugs amphetamine and modafinil, for example, increase wakefulness by increasing dopamine signalling. Conversely, even one night of sleep deprivation reduces the number of dopamine receptors in the striatum, a region of the basal ganglia that is severely affected by the disease. Thus the sleep disturbances associated with Parkinson's may be caused by the degeneration of dopaminergic midbrain neurons.

Sterniczuk plans to analyse the SHARE data again to see if there are subtle differences between the sleep disturbances in presymptomatic Alzheimer's and Parkinson's patients. “If we can characterize the changes before symptoms appear then we can use them as diagnostic markers,” she says. “That might permit earlier treatment.”

The evidence is building for a correlation between disturbed sleep and neurodegenerative diseases, but the next step — discovering whether sleep disturbances are a cause of these conditions — will take considerably more research. In particular, establishing a causal relationship will require longitudinal studies that assess the sleeping patterns of large numbers of people over long periods of time, and link specific types of sleep disorder with the incidence of each disease. But to diagnose the diseases accurately, researchers must look for the tell-tale signs in the brains of study participants...

Broken dreams

Sleeping difficulties and neurodegeneration seem to reinforce one another in a vicious cycle. “Abnormal sleep in mid-life might cause protein aggregation that starts the disease off,” Holtzman says, “and the damage that causes may further disrupt sleep.”
“A lot of early data suggest that modifying sleep could actually delay the onset of disease.”​
But could that dynamic be reversed? If disrupted sleep can predispose people to neurodegeneration, then might healthy sleeping patterns help protect the brain against it? Holtzman's group is testing this idea — essentially, whether it is possible to turn the vicious cycle virtuous. “A lot of early data suggest that modifying sleep could actually delay the onset of disease,” he says. “I think that's where the field should be going now, but it's not trivial translating all the animal studies directly into people.”

...Sleep apnoea, which is characterised by abnormally shallow and interrupted breathing, may almost double the risk of dementia7. Sleep apnoea is treatable, so early intervention could delay the onset not only of neurodegeneration, but also of normal age-related cognitive decline. “Once it is corrected, patients are much brighter and have better memory function,” says Saper, “but it's still not clear whether sleep loss itself increases neurodegeneration.”

Nevertheless, once clinicians wake up to the fact that sleep is so intimately linked to the most common neurodegenerative diseases, they may be in a better position to detect these debilitating neurological conditions at an early stage, and perhaps stop them in their tracks.

Nature Outlook devotes it's entire edition to sleep this month:

Researchers are defining the various functions of sleep, from how we learn to the regulation of metabolism and immunity. Insufficient sleep, a growing problem in modern society, can knock our biological clocks out of kilter, sometimes leading to chronic disease and neurodegeneration. New ways to treat troubled sleeping are being developed, and better sleep practice can help people with mood disorders.

Some quite intriguing articles...

Allyson

Nature Outlook devotes it's entire edition to sleep this month:

Some quite intriguing articles...[/quote

Hope they start looking into this seriously

when i did my sleep study I ould not sleep
the techy said "take a sleeping tablet then"

I Did and slept for 6 hours or so

then they wrote on the report " slept well all night" ! (Subtext ... so it is all in her head...)

Hope it changes soon and we get taken seriously

A

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I was pleased when I saw the “Request your free print copy here” link, but “Unfortunately copies are no longer available for this supplement.” I guess I will slog though it all on the computer. I am one of those fuddy-duddys who still prefers to read things in books and magazines.