• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting lecture on failings of evidence based medicine

user9876

http://truthman30.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/david-healy-time-to-abandon-evidence-based-medicine/

I've just listened to this lecture by prof Healy on the failings of evidence based medicine. He makes a lot of interesting points starting with the traditional regulation of trials. But he goes on to cover adverse effects where the adverse effects from a drug overlap with the disease, a brief mention of the issue of scales.

I liked one comment he made around if you can show a good effect with 10 patients why do you need a bigger trial. He also said there is no point of a rct if you cann't define your patient

His basic thesis is doctors are ignoring evidence of adverse effects because trials tell them they don't happen. He runs an organisation called risk.org for reporting and sharing adverse drug effects.

Many of the issues we have with trials are mentioned.

AFCFS

He runs an organisation called risk.org for reporting and sharing adverse drug effects.
Thanks for the post, the link is actually rxisk.org.

- I hear stuff like this, makes me think opium dens, cheap alcohol and cigarettes were the "good old days" of drugs.