• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting article on historical sleep patterns

whodathunkit

I've read some about this in the past. I wondered if the "two block pattern" noted by Western cultures in earlier centuries had anything to do with adrenal fatigue brought about poorer nutrition (possibly lowered B12 status, among other things).

For the past several months I've been making an effort to get up and out of my house every day between 7a and 9a, and spend at least a half hour outside. Luckily I live in a temperate, mild clime that allows me to do this year round. I think it most definitely has been paying off in the quality of my sleep. I'm consistently sleepy no later than 11p at night (so am in bed by then) and don't have much trouble with getting up or falling asleep during the day. I feel much better rested and have more energy.

jess100

I just read a similar article in an old copy of Tricycle (Buddhist magazine) and it's made me think a lot about daylight I noticed years ago (before the onset of CFS or what ever I have) that I needed a lot more sleep going into winter. Now I think that's because the days were shorter and I should have been sleeping more.
I've also thought about our inside lifestyles and lack of vitamin D-which causes immunity issues.