• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

insomnia, reposting a good link from august59

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
http://www.endotext.org/adrenal/adrenal31/adrenalframe31.htm
After reading this link and i will need to read it again, the part that most strikes a cord with myself and cfs is the role of inflammatory cytokines in causing insomnia. This is definately us with chronic infections etc and interleukin(IL)6 seems to be that cytokine thats elevated and causing the problem. ALso IL6 increases with sleep deprivation so it a viscious cycle of high IL6 from infections that causes sleep problems and the sleep problems further increase IL6.

Now im trying to google info on ways to reduce IL6 with some sort of anti-inflammatory, which i think will have to be specific to IL6, not just the everyday anti-inflammatories we take for aches and pains. I do know cycloferon has anti-inflammatory effects against viruses but not sure if its specific to IL6. I have been off cycloferon since the end of january and about to go back on it soon so will monitor my sleep when im back on it and see if it makes a difference.

So all you cfs insomniacs, if u can find any good links and info relating to the above, please post.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

IL6 also cranks up the HPA axis, so this also might explain why some of us have whacky adrenals ie high night time cortisol levels which also wreck our sleep. This is an article about HIV, wow it sounds alot like us, you read this and you really start pointing fingers at a retrovirus in cfs, we have alot in common with HIV, but they dont have to do CBT and GET, lol.

This is aprt of the article, http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1066&context=kenneth_phillips
Three cytokines have been shown to produce sleep.
These cytokines, IL-1-β, interleukin-6 (IL-6), and
tumor-necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α), are markers of
immune activation. These cytokines are elevated in the
blood of PWHIV, and they are associated with an
increase in HIV replication and the progression of the
disease.
IL-1-β stimulates the production of CRF and may
contribute to the hypercortisolemia that is seen in HIV
disease (Azar & Melby, 1993). IL-1-β increases total
sleep time and non-REM (NREM), and decreases
REMandSWS(Borbely&Tobler, 1989). However, in
HIV disease, increased secretion of IL-1-β may lead to
insomnia because of its effects on CRF.
IL-6 stimulates the production of ACTH and cortisol
concentrations. IL-6 decreasesSWSin the first half
of the sleep period, but it increases SWS in the second
half (Spath-Schwalbe et al., 1998).
TNF-α increases NREM sleep, decreases REM
sleep (Graf, Heller, Sakaguchi, & Krishna, 1987),
increases SWS (Kapas & Krueger, 1996), and
increases total sleep time (Graf et al., 1987). In
PWHIV, TNF-α elevates to as much as six times the
normal level. Significant relationships are seen
between TNF-α and delta-wave sleep in HIV infection;
increased delta-wave sleep and sleep fragmentation
are seen early in the infection and decreased
delta-wave sleep appear in advanced HIV disease
(Darko, Miller, et al., 1995). This raises the question
that IL-6 may indirectly lead to insomnia through the
HPAA.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

This is a study i found on inosine and its anti-inflammatory effects on IL6.
Inosine is a naturally occurring purine formed from the breakdown of adenosine. Here we have evaluated the effects of inosine in a murine model of polymicrobial sepsis induced by cecal ligation and puncture (CLP). Mice subjected to CLP were treated with either inosine (100 mg/kg, intraperitoneally) or vehicle 1 h before and 6 h after CLP. After 12 h tumor necrosis factor , interleukin 6 (IL-6), and IL-10 were measured in plasma. Biochemical markers of organ damage, liver NAD+/NADH (indicator of the mitochondrial redox state), plasma nitrate, tissue myeloperoxidase (MPO, indicator of neutrophil accumulation) and malondialdehyde (MDA, indicator of lipid peroxidation), liver and lung chemokines (macrophage inflammatory protein 1 [MIP-1] and MIP-2), and ex vivo vascular reactivity in aortic rings were also measured. Mice treated with inosine had significantly lower levels of circulating cytokines. Organ damage was significantly reduced by inosine treatment, which was associated at the tissue level with an increased hepatic NAD+/NADH ratio, decreased MPO activity in the lung, reduced MDA formation in the gut and liver, and decreased MIP-1 and MIP-2 in the lung and liver. Furthermore, inosine significantly improved endothelium-dependent relaxant responses of aortic rings. These effects were associated with significant improvement of the survival of CLP mice treated with inosine, an effect that was still observed when inosine treatment was delayed 1 h after CLP, especially when it was associated with appropriate antibiotic treatment. Thus, inosine reduced systemic inflammation, organ damage, tissue dysoxia, and vascular dysfunction, resulting in improved survival in septic shock.

Now i used inosine a few years ago as an alternative to immunovir, now the first time i used it, i think it put me into remission for 4-6 weeks and sleep was good and i was med free for sleep. I eventually crashed again and never been able to repeat this, but the next few times i used it, it definately helped with joint pains etc which i felt was working through inosines anti-inflammatory effects. Im tempted to try inosine again but maybe use it at night and see what happens.

Interesting what u can find when u add a few different words into the search engine like insoine, IL6 and sleep all together.

cheers!!!

Crappy

Thanks Heaps,

The HIV part talking about insomnia making for, "low quality of life". I get that.
I've pretty much resolved myself to being lethargic with bloodshot eyes, I appreciate your tenacity. The average Dr, knows their ignorant about this, but since it isn't hurting them, their ignorance doesn't seem to bother them much.

heapsreal

Thanks Heaps,

The HIV part talking about insomnia making for, "low quality of life". I get that.
I've pretty much resolved myself to being lethargic with bloodshot eyes, I appreciate your tenacity. The average Dr, knows their ignorant about this, but since it isn't hurting them, their ignorance doesn't seem to bother them much.

I think thats why the doctors that go after this illness are the ones who have cfs or close family member who has been struck down with cfs. Thanks for appreciating my tenacity, its driven by insomnia, lol.

cheers!!!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I still haven't been able to read the entire site. I do have it as a word doc if someone wants it.

From what I have gathered or better yet what amazes me is how intwined all the different systems within our body are. The way we are taught growing up gives us a mindset that this is this system and this is that system, which in reality is not true. I understand why it is taught this way, but they didn't finish the job, which was to explain how it all ties back together.