Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Inositol deficiency, a literal footnote (for a foot crack!)

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by BadBadBear, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I added inositol about 4 weeks ago to see if it improved my thyroid functioning (there's a study on a combo of Se and Inositol).

Strangely, a persistent foot crack that I've had nonstop for 2+ years healed! I could not believe it. It does lead me to believe I have a frank deficiency as the skin on my feet is SO much better.

If anyone has info about co-nutrients that I should be replacing or other inositol info, please let me know. I am going to take 5 g per day for a few months (OK'd by my doc) and see if anything else changes as it becomes replete in my system.

2. gumman123

gumman123

rice bran wheat bran and sesame seeds have 5-6g inositol phosphates per 100g

BadBadBear likes this.
  3. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Dry skin on your feet and cracked heels can be a sign of hypothyroidism. This is my personal experience as well.

BadBadBear likes this.
  4. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Inositol is supposed to help PCOS sufferers with eczema and its also known to mitigate psoriasis for lithium users. So there seem to be a variety of possible mechanisms causing my skin to heal.

I do wonder if my body is not able to make normal amounts or if I am using an unusual amount. Or perhaps wasting it.

I have noticed it does seem to raise my blood pressure (systolic is up about 10 points) so that's helpful.

pattismith likes this.
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

There are a few studies precisely about Inositol supplementation helping hypothyroidism.
    A diet high in choline seems to block endogenous Inositol production (personal experience): eggs make my hair fall, drinking OJ (high Inositol) heals my hair loss.
    Hm, interesting, thanks for putting it out there.

BadBadBear and pamojja like this.
  6. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @BadBadBear - I didn't know about the possible thyroid/inositol link. I started taking inositol at night before bed a few years ago because it was supposed to help with sleep, and it did. I take 1000 mg. before bed and 1000 more in the middle of the night.

I haven't noticed any other benefits however, though it could possibly be helping my thyroid though I haven't noticed anything.

BadBadBear likes this.
  7. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Interesting. In my attempts to find optimal doses of all B vitamins for me I only superseded that with choline. - Once taking close to 500 mg/d for some time - I started to get tension and clenching in my chaws. Some years later that limit reduced to 300 mg/d of choline. While also getting about 400 mg/d through my diet when I was calculating it for some time.

Because of a chronic bronchitis for 1 year got also a COPD 1 diagnosis, which however, has been asymptomatic since curing the bronchitis. But since I also have a long smoker history I got a bid concerned and therefore added Myo-inositol powder gradually increasing, due the encouraging results of this preliminary study: A Phase I Study of myo-Inositol for Lung Cancer Chemoprevention

However this study contrarily found:

With now about 10 g per day Inositol, yearly pulmonological evaluations showed gradual improvement of lung-functions (without any symptoms I wouldn't mention), tolerance to choline has increased again and am actually in the unknown were it is now, blood pressure remained normal (110/70). My thyroid only initially improved going above about 6 g/d Inositol, but since returned to before levels. Didn't experienced any other direct effects, as with most supplements I take.

Infrequent psoriasis outbreaks ceased for me once I reached 20.000 daily IUs of preformed vitamin A. However, since that also coincided with having taken 9 g of inositol for more than one year, I'm no more so sure about that.

Gondwanaland and BadBadBear like this.
  8. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Preformed vit A always increase dandruff for me - I suspect dandruff is linked to high DHT. Vit A increases T >> DHT conversion, Inositol inhibits it.

pamojja likes this.
  9. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    I have not been able to eat eggs, or egg yolks well for ages, but had spontaneously started eating boiled eggs for breakfast the last couple of weeks (and they are not unpalatable, as the yolks usually are). Not sure if this is an inositol side effect? I normally don't consume much choline, kinda makes me nauseous.

BP effect may be improved thyroid function in my case.

It also caused some hormone surges in the first couple of weeks, whew that was fun while it lasted (high sex drive, lol). I have read of other people having that same effect from it.

i added a dose of d-chiro inositol at bedtime and slept well, probably will stay at this dose for a while. ~2500 mg 3x per day plus chiro form at bed.

It seems to actually do stuff, unlike most supplements I've tried! I am interested to see if it prevents my finger skin from splitting this winter, another painful side effect of being ill.

Gondwanaland and pamojja like this.

See more popular forum discussions.