• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inositol and lithium orotate

I just wanted to report that I'm doing better with sleep. On nights when I struggle to sleep I know I can take Inositol and lithium and I will sleep. I only need a very low dose of both and I don't take them every night. Inositol in particular can cause vivid dreams and wakeups because it increases neurotransmitter activity, but I'd rather have that than no sleep. I took it last night because I was feeling wide awake and I slept all night without a problem. Inositol can cause brain fog at the higher doses, but I found that if I keep my dose low and only take it at night I don't experience that. It also has the pleasant side effect of being an antidepressant.

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@soundasacrystal - I've been taking inositol at night for several months, it did help me a lot with sleep when I first took it. and I also take a low dose of lithium orotate as well. a few months ago I finished a 7 or 8 month taper off a long-term low dose use of lorazepam (taken in the middle of the night for sleep) and got insane insomnia which the inositol would not touch. But after a lot of experimentation am finding that calcium pyruvate is very helpful now for sleep - it is a glutamate scavenger. I had also tried resveratrol another glutamate scavenger, but it left me feeling quite drugged and tired ....

With the calcium pyruvate I am dreaming a lot more, which is rather nice :)

@Mary Benzo withdrawal insomnia is brutal. I've been through a lot of that. I'm glad you found something that works! I'll have to remember that for the future.

heyitisjustin

I just wanted to report that I'm doing better with sleep. On nights when I struggle to sleep I know I can take Inositol and lithium and I will sleep. I only need a very low dose of both and I don't take them every night. Inositol in particular can cause vivid dreams and wakeups because it increases neurotransmitter activity, but I'd rather have that than no sleep. I took it last night because I was feeling wide awake and I slept all night without a problem. Inositol can cause brain fog at the higher doses, but I found that if I keep my dose low and only take it at night I don't experience that. It also has the pleasant side effect of being an antidepressant.

Just wanted to share my experience in case it helps someone.
What neurotransmitter activity does inositol increase? I hadn't heard of it doing anything besides increasing serotonin.
I have tried inositol before but it didn't seem to do much. However, it is possible I started doing something else at the same time and counterbalanced it. If you have any timing/dosage recommendations that'd be appreciated. I believe my Dr had suggested several dosages a day, perhaps based on what you are saying one bigger dose right before bed might be better?

heyitisjustin

I wonder why these supplements are working. If lithium works it could be because of increased serotonin or decreased NMDA. I'd be curious to see if additional supplements that work with glutamate/NMDA(huperzine a, cats claw, magnesium, ferulic acid) or serotonin(bacopa, 5HTP, tryptophan) were to help you. I am also wondering why inositol works. If it has properties besides raising serotonin that'd be useful to know