• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inositol and Choline (recommend)

Although I can't claim they are a 'cure', since I have been taking a combination supplement of inositol and choline I have noticed there is slightly more energy. Admittedly I take a ton of supplements (somewhat rattling) anyway, and it's always hard to know what effect each one has, but when I ran out for a few days I noticed the difference.

Some days I couldn't climb the stairs without stopping up to three times. After taking inositol and choline I can normally manage the whole flight without stopping, even if some days are slower than others. Unless I am coming down with a cold or something.

So if anyone hasn't tried it, do consider it.

I believe eggs are a good source of lecithin if I have remembered correctly, don't know if you would need to eat a ton for it to be worthwhile though!

ljimbo423

Although I can't claim they are a 'cure', since I have been taking a combination supplement of inositol and choline I have noticed there is slightly more energy.

Hi Complex CFSer- Choline is a really good methyl donor, so it increases methylation and the methylated B-12 does also. Is that what you were going for with the choline, increased methylation?

Jim

TreePerson

Thanks very much! I can't take anything methylated for some reason. I just take the lowest dose of standard B vits (Cyanocobalamin). Is that likely to make a difference?

You're welcome TreePerson. I think methylated only makes a real difference for people with methylation issues (which I do have according to the information I found from my genome!)

Thanks Jim, I don't think I knew that about choline. I wasn't purposely using it for that anyway, as I have been with the methylated B12. All I know is since I have been taking and trying to fine tune supplements it has helped. I also take MSM and different probiotics and a variety of other stuff.

I'm not full of energy I hasten to add, I have become deconditioned as EDS-related symptoms including dizziness and presyncope really affected my activity levels as well as the fatigue. But I'm not as bad as I was. It's frustratingly variable though. Yesterday I was able to manage a flight of stairs at home without stopping and without feeling like it was a horrible effort, but today I have been like a slug. It seems to take a really small factor, such as a mild cold, to make all the difference. Do other CFSers find this? That even a really small illness literally drains what little energy you have?

ljimbo423

It seems to take a really small factor, such as a mild cold, to make all the difference. Do other CFSers find this? That even a really small illness literally drains what little energy you have?

Yes. I used to catch a cold or a flu and it would last 8-10 days. Then it would take me many days or even a week or so after that, to regain what little energy I had. Thankfully I have improved my health enough now, that it's no longer an issue.

I just caught a cold a week or so ago and instead of it putting me in bed for 5-7 days. I was only sick for 4 days and didn't need to spend any time in bed!

I was so sick with cfs for several years that I could hardly get out of bed for more than a few minutes at a time.

Now, I sleep 8 hours a night, never spend a day in bed unless I'm sick with the flu or something and very rarely ever take a nap. So there is no doubt in my mind that symptoms can be dramatically lessened.:)

The few supplements that you mentioned, I think can be very helpful for many. I have found that treating dysbiosis and "leaky gut" to be what has really turned my health around, without a question of a doubt!

Jim

I don't think my colds last longer than average but I get such a lot of them. I seem to have way more than average, as well as upset stomachs. I think there must be an immune element. The symptoms of my colds have been significantly less since I started taking Immunace Extra multivitamins. I read many good review of people saying the same thing before I tried them.

I know what you mean about the sleep. I never feel rested and need a lot of sleep. It's great that people can find vitamins and supplements to help, but it's expensive to maintain your health this way!

ljimbo423

I don't think my colds last longer than average but I get such a lot of them. I seem to have way more than average, as well as upset stomachs. I think there must be an immune element. The symptoms of my colds have been significantly less since I started taking Immunace Extra multivitamins. I read many good review of people saying the same thing before I tried them.

I know what you mean about the sleep. I never feel rested and need a lot of sleep. It's great that people can find vitamins and supplements to help, but it's expensive to maintain your health this way!

I used to catch 6-8 colds and flus a year. Then I started taking colostrum for gut health I think and realized I got sick once all winter. So I take colostrum every day now and only get sick 3-4 times a year instead of 6-8!

I agree about the immune system, I am as certain as I can be that there is a big immune system component to cfs.

It is expensive to buy so many supplements. I buy most of mine at "Swansons Vitamins" and get really good deals. I usually wait until they have 15-20% off $75 orders and free shipping.

So I end up paying 60-$64 for $75 worth of supplements and save $5 in shipping.:) Without deals like that, I would be taking a lot less supps.;)

Jim

ljimbo423

what kind of colostrum do you take @ljimbo423 ? thanks

Hi cb2- I have taken 2 different kinds. One from swanson vitamins, a regular 20% immunoglobulin colostrum. The other one is a phospholipid colostrum from Nutricology.

I didn't notice one being any better than the other though. They both cut the amount of colds and flus I got every year, in half.:)

cb2

thank you @ljimbo423 I have tired the immune tree colostrum and sovereign. how long before you noticed a difference and how much do you take if you dont mind sharing? do you take it on an empty stomach? Thank you

ljimbo423

thank you @ljimbo423 I have tired the immune tree colostrum and sovereign. how long before you noticed a difference and how much do you take if you dont mind sharing? do you take it on an empty stomach? Thank you

If I remember right, it didn't take very long to start working, I would say maybe a week or 2. Although it might take much longer for it to fully work. I found that just 500mg a day cut the number of colds and flus I got every year in half.

I worked my way up to 2,400mg a day though, for the additional gut healing effects of colostrum. I do take it on an empty stomach.

Jim