• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inner sense of bodily tremor

Wolfcub

( I am not relating this to anxiety symptoms.)

Does anyone else feel a tremor/shakiness which feels deep within the body ? It may or may not be visible tremors, but it seems to be going on inside.

I get that. It has been one of my main symptoms from the very first day when I thought I had flu, back in March.
It feels rather like -when a physical "stress position" is held too long and the body starts to shake.

I am trying to figure it out. So far I am wondering if it's related to lactic acid build up. I will experiment by taking bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) I don't have any in the house right now but as soon as I get to town will buy some and try it. I have heard that neutralises lactic acid. At least it would be an experiment to see if I can find the culprit.

But surely lactic acid build up would be likely to cause muscle aches etc. And I don't actually get that.
Just this horrible inner tremor.

I am wary of discussing it with my doctor as the first thing anyone thinks of when you mention shakiness, is "Anxiety".
And I know this is a physical root not an anxiety symptom. I knew that from the first day.

But does anyone else get it -and what are your findings?

Richard7

Yes, there have been other threads discussing this

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/inner-vibrations-what-are-they-really.23969/
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...symptoms-meds-herbs-what-triggers-them.50502/

Personally I don't really have a handle on it. I know that there was a time when I could suppress it with b group vitamins, I got so I could feel low b12, low b9, and low something else that I could not identify but which got a bit better when I took a b complex.

At this very moment I only have it mildly, I can only just sense it, and seem to have only a slight need for B vitamins: B2 and biotin most days, inositol at some point each week, very occasionally a multivitamin. But I do have a lot of unfortified nutritional yeast and other rich sources of b vitamins in my diet.

So maybe playing around with B group vitamins would help.

Wolfcub

I tried a high dose B complex.. But I find I have to take it on and off, and meanwhile take a small dose B complex each day as I have done for years, along with a general multivitamin-mineral.
I am not sure if the high dose suits me. I haven't noticed any improvements while taking it. The only effect I have noticed is stronger dream recall. Sometimes (again not sure and not evidential) -I have even felt a bit worse while taking the strong dosage.
It's been a weird thing. Either I remember dreams or I feel a little bit worse. All to do with the high dose vitamin B. And I took that dosage with no problem at all 6 years ago. Same brand, no artificial additives, etc.
I sometimes feel better on the much lower "maintenance" dose. Again I'm not sure why. Or if it's just coincidence....

I am a bit wary of just taking ONE B vitamin (like B12 or B6 or something) without all the others. But maybe I could be taking too much of one I don't know about mixed up in the complex (like folate or something?) I already eat stacks of green leafy veggies

lafarfelue

I have had this symptom pop up occasionally in the past, and for me it's meant that i'd overdone it and needed to rest (this is before I got really sick and diagnosed with ME/CFS). I associated it with sheer exhaustion, it always felt like it originated from a cellular level.

Just in the past few weeks I've had the deep, internal sense of tremors/trembling again, but it felt more like uncontrollable minor seizures. this time it was only juuuust as I was in the limerance of sleep and awake. It has been the strangest sensation, like a lucid dream.

Common to other comments in all these threads, apart from exhaustion, is mention of B vitamins; I had been upping mine through nutritional yeast flakes. I reduced the flakes, especially at night, to see if it would help and the tremors have stopped (or its not enough don't wake me if they do happen). of course it could be unrelated, as there are a lot of other constituents in flakes.

I'm yet to explore mitochondrial dysfunction or anything to do with nerves. (im also keen to see if anything in the metabolic trap hypothesis related to B vitamins!)

Also very glad to know it's not just me that experiences this symptom and that others have a hard time explaining it!

JadeD

I’ve also experienced this sometimes for weeks on end, then it would subside. I particularly notice it in my neck and head and upper body. It’s always at a low level and I notice it more so in bed. It increases in intensity when I turn over which is odd. It’s such an unusual sensation and quite unsettling tbh.

I also link it to over-exertion and absolute exhaustion, as when I pace better and rest sometimes it goes but not always.

Rossy191276

Yes it has been a primary symptom for me but i only get them in my upper legs, core, and chest. I get the internal tremors every morning when i wake up and when my body is stressed i can get visual tremors that almost look like seizures. I think it is a combination of adrenal surges and low energy. If you go on dysautonomia forums people diagnosed with hyperadrenergic pots very commonly get this.

Wolfcub

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry you all get this too, but interested to read what others experience, and that I'm not alone in feeling this weird thing.
It started the very first day I didn't feel well 5 months ago. The best comparison I can make is when you have had way too much coffee -same sensation internally.
It doesn't happen to me first thing in the morning usually. But after a few hours and sometimes straight after eating for a couple of hours, then it usually passes. It's almost as if the energy needed for digestion is taking too much out of me...(?)
It does seem related in my case to some very deep peculiar exhaustion which I am finding hard to analyse. So far nothing I've tried has helped much, and I will try all sorts of things as simple experiments....salt....a teaspoon of honey....water....relaxing herbs like Camomile etc
The other day I chewed on a tiny sprig of Rosemary and it did help a little bit suddenly, but the feelings came back later.

I don't have classic symptoms of POTS.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

Just in the past few weeks I've had the deep, internal sense of tremors/trembling again, but it felt more like uncontrollable minor seizures. this time it was only juuuust as I was in the limerance of sleep and awake. It has been the strangest sensation, like a lucid dream.

I don't mean to take this thread into "super-normal" territory, but I am wondering if what you are feeling in those instances is related to the beginning of an out-of-body experience?
Check out the "vibrational stage" of an OBE. A lot is said about it and it has happened to me in the past, when I was fit and well. Oddly, since being unwell it has not happened once.

Wolfcub

Thanks for that idea, @keepontruckin
Lyme would make sense in a way. I live in countryside and there are deer around, plus there are Ticks. I am always watchful of getting Ticks on me and check (shake out clothing, wear light coloured clothing when out, pants tucked into socks & boots etc) when I get back from being out in woods/fields. I have a "thing" about Ticks! I even examine my whole body in the mirror and two mirrors to check my back!
I have been Tick-bitten years ago, got the Ticks off within an hour or two, but never was ill from it and never got a rash (bullseye rash or anything similar.) But not Tick-bitten in ages now that I am aware of.

But what I don't know is what incubation period can Lyme have?

When I first got ill it was early Spring straight after the bitterest cold ice and snow. We'd had a bitter cold month-long spell of weather, running at about -15-20C at night and well below freezing in the days. My only chance of getting Tick-bitten would have been the previous August/September, and I'd been super well all winter.
The doc. said the lab had run a Lyme test on my blood work which came back negative....but I have since learned that sort of test isn't good enough. I didn't know that then.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I have only been able, so far, to read the original post, in this thread,
but I want to say that I do have that,
and it is very pronounced for me, and very uncomfortable and difficult. NOT anxiety, and is physical, seems to me to probably be from the CNS? (central nervous system) Some sort of nerve thing, sending messages of a problem, but I try many things, and have not found solutions.
I have it more at night than during the daytime, but can have it either. And though it is intermittent, it is very persistent, for hours, when I get it, which is often.

Wolfcub

I am sorry @Shoshana It is very uncomfortable to get this, I know. I am lucky it doesn't happen at night, but can be any time I am awake, and like you, I have it intermittently, but there is no getting rid of it on a day when it's there.
It does feel as if it's neurological in origin, like you say. I will definitely ask about it at my neurologist appointment next month, and whatever I learn I will share.

Wishful

I had intermittent tremors from the beginning, starting with the shivering that came with what I thought was a flu (nope, first sign of ME). It remained intermittent and low-level for years, but gradually went away. I haven't had it for a long time. I don't know if simply declined over time, or if my diet now avoids something that used to cause it.

Wolfcub

Okay now here's a strange thing...
I only slept half a night last night. That's unusual for me. I usually sleep like the dead.

Anyway I woke up way too early and couldn't get back to sleep. Possibly too hot. It was a muggy night.
I got up then and have been tired out all day of course.
And -no tremors or shakiness all day today.

It's sad but I am almost dreading a really good sleep which will surely happen tonight. I remember the days when a good sleep was so nice after a tired day.....and the next day I felt well.

Wolfcub

I had intermittent tremors from the beginning, starting with the shivering that came with what I thought was a flu (nope, first sign of ME). It remained intermittent and low-level for years, but gradually went away. I haven't had it for a long time. I don't know if simply declined over time, or if my diet now avoids something that used to cause it.

I'm glad to hear it's gone away for you @Wishful I hope it stays away.
I also had problems with heat and cold (feeling super cold one minute, too warm the next, even though my temperature was below normal and not fluctuating much) But this tremor thing does feel different to that.

Wolfcub

Bless you, thank you @Shoshana. I hope you have some peaceful nights too and will one day wake up feeling better. I would like to bottle how I used to feel and give it out for free online! haha No charge, not even shipping! :rofl:

L'engle

moogle
I have it sometimes for a short while, usually when I'm resting or partly asleep. There's never any actual tremors, just a feeling of tremors. I think it may be related to the 'jolt' that sometimes happens when there is a shift between waking and sleeping.

For me its indistinguishable from a minor earthquake. One time I thought I was having a tremor and it turned out to be a small earthquake. Most of the time I feel it and wonder if it's an earthquake and have to verify that nothing else is shaking around me. :)

Its never been long lasting or disruptive for me, fortunately.

lafarfelue

Most of the time I feel it and wonder if it's an earthquake and have to verify that nothing else is shaking around me.

This is exactly what happened to me that made me start taking it more seriously than 'just a thing that happens to me a little bit while I'm asleep'! Truly one of the strangest sensations.

lafarfelue

I don't mean to take this thread into "super-normal" territory, but I am wondering if what you are feeling in those instances is related to the beginning of an out-of-body experience?
Check out the "vibrational stage" of an OBE. A lot is said about it and it has happened to me in the past, when I was fit and well. Oddly, since being unwell it has not happened once.

I wish I could even pretend I were that in tune with the 'higher me' to approach the astral plane..! Alas, I am very much bound to Earth :meh::sleep: