• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Injectable Curcumin

MAF14

Seems like there are a ton of benefits to oral Curcumin (most notable its anti-inflammatory effects) but I'm curious who has had success with the inj version or how you compare to oral?

Please discuss!

Carl

I do not think that I would inject it because it could cause problems.

Liposomal Curcumin might be a better idea to improve bioavailability which can be fairly low in the digestive system with normal permeability. It should more highly available in the CFS digestive system due to the higher permeability.

Fat is meant to improve the availability of curcumin so liposomal forms might be helpful.

Seems like there are a ton of benefits to oral Curcumin (most notable its anti-inflammatory effects) but I'm curious who has had success with the inj version or how you compare to oral?

Please discuss!

Liposomal Curcumin might be a better idea to improve bioavailability which can be fairly low in the digestive system with normal permeability. It should more highly available in the CFS digestive system due to the higher permeability.

Fat is meant to improve the availability of curcumin so liposomal forms might be helpful.

Curcumin's properties make it almost insoluble in aqueous solution. There was also a death recently in the USA directly caused by a hypersensitivity reaction to curcumin. I would stick with oral administration if I were you.

MAF14

Anything "can cause problems"...

There are plenty of people who use inj curcumin IM not IV with positive results. I'm surprised this info hasn't spread around here.

MAF14

Curcumin's properties make it almost insoluble in aqueous solution. There was also a death recently in the USA directly caused by a hypersensitivity reaction to curcumin. I would stick with oral administration if I were you.

Keyword is "hypersensitivity". She was also taking IV which I wouldn't do. If anything it would be IM.

Due to poor bioavailability I've seen A LOT of reports of positive results from inj Curcumin and Resveratrol recently.

Is there any evidence to support that, because manufacturer's unsupported claims don't mean much.

Manufacturer claims:

Turmeric, and its component curcuminoids, is notoriously poorly absorbed within the gut with as little as 1% being absorbed into the body. BetterYou's unique molecular encapsulation process (Cyclocurmin®) has been specially formulated to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system. The tiny droplets absorb quickly in your mouth providing faster nutrient absorption than tablets and capsules.

Each daily dose (4 sprays) contains 1,300mg equivalent turmeric root with a natural orange flavour.

So when it gets into the bloodstream, how does it get broken down, I wonder? If the gut doesn't break it down with all the acid, biled salts etc, how on earth does it dissolve in the blood.

Keyword is "hypersensitivity". She was also taking IV which I wouldn't do. If anything it would be IM.

Due to poor bioavailability I've seen A LOT of reports of positive results from inj Curcumin and Resveratrol recently.

I would think with curcumin, there is more than hypersensitivity to consider. When one injects anything via IV, the solution should be as isotonic (like the composition of blood) as possible. I would assume that a solution with curcumin in it would totally irritate the veins.

If this woman had the curcumin IM, she probably would have died too. Hypersensitivity is important especially for people with ME who seem to hypersensitive to all sorts.

Indeed, curcumin should not be given by IV -- ever.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/naturopathic-death-from-iv-turmeric/

The person that died was getting the IV for eczema. What a senseless death.

Carl

What the OP seems to be forgetting is that CFS digestive systems are not working normally! They are hyper-permeable and therefore anything in the digestive system absorbs into the bloodstream far more easily than the majority of people. The absorption figure for curcumin does not apply to CFS, the figure could be considerably greater depending upon how permeable each CFS digestive system is.

Therefore use that to your advantage. Make the curcumin as absorbable as possible and a lot more will absorb than none CFS.

TrixieStix

Curcumin is a known mTOR inhibitor. Didn't Ron Davis talk about possibility that mTOR inhibitors might not be the best thing for us?

Learner1

There is a great deal of misinformation in this thread. I have had several curcumin IVs with great benefit and have seen it do wonders for people who are seriously ill.

I am also familiar with the death mentioned above and have seen a technical analysis of what went wrong - unfortunately, the patient was allergic to it. It seems that she was allergic to many things. It is tragic that this happened, but it would be tragic if the life saving curcumin I know were no longer available due to fear and ignorance.

People die every day from allergic reactions. They also die from reactions to pharmaceutical drugs taken as prescribed by their doctor. I'm allergic to corn and could go into anaphylactic shock due to taking something as simple as hydrocortisone or Benadryl, which contain corn derivatives...

Curcumin has many desirable biological benefits. It can reduce inflammation, fight cancer, and is s broad spectrum Phase 2 detoxifying agent.

I was given it when I had a lot of arsenic mobilized in a detox program. I had a lot of toxicity as I am a lousy detoxer - I'd die long before something like the Cutler protocol would make a dent in my toxicity, so I chose IV methods under the supervision of an expert doctor.

Even on significant support, I had headaches and felt sick and queasy. The curcumin IV helped flush the arsenic out of me. After that, for awhile, I began each IV session with curcumin until my toxicity went down and I no longer needed it.

There's been a lot of study with curcumin and cancer and I have witnessed patients who have failed multiple types of chemotherapy or metastatic cancers get it with great success.

It is a tricky substance and must be processed correctly by experts to be used in an injectible format. I've seen it safely used over the past 3 years and know that the staff had to deal with curcumin from different suppliers slightly differently. It is thick and can clog IV lines.

It is definitely not a do it yourself project for IM injections and it is very safe orally. The only issue is having it processed to be bioavailable, generally with lipids, liposomal, and or with piperine from black pepper.

It is a valuable pharmaceutical agent, but as with anything, must be used appropriately with understanding of its properties and methods to achieve therapeutic benefit.

MAF14

What the OP seems to be forgetting is that CFS digestive systems are not working normally! They are hyper-permeable and therefore anything in the digestive system absorbs into the bloodstream far more easily than the majority of people. The absorption figure for curcumin does not apply to CFS, the figure could be considerably greater depending upon how permeable each CFS digestive system is.

Therefore use that to your advantage. Make the curcumin as absorbable as possible and a lot more will absorb than none CFS.

You're applying a "one size fits all" mentality to this where everyone on this board can attest how untrue that is. A "miracle supplement" for one person can make someone else around here easily bed ridden.

Sorry but this generalization is simply not true.

MAF14

There is a great deal of misinformation in this thread. I have had several curcumin IVs with great benefit and have seen it do wonders for people who are seriously ill.

I am also familiar with the death mentioned above and have seen a technical analysis of what went wrong - unfortunately, the patient was allergic to it. It seems that she was allergic to many things. It is tragic that this happened, but it would be tragic if the life saving curcumin I know were no longer available due to fear and ignorance.

People die every day from allergic reactions. They also die from reactions to pharmaceutical drugs taken as prescribed by their doctor. I'm allergic to corn and could go into anaphylactic shock due to taking something as simple as hydrocortisone or Benadryl, which contain corn derivatives...

Curcumin has many desirable biological benefits. It can reduce inflammation, fight cancer, and is s broad spectrum Phase 2 detoxifying agent.

I was given it when I had a lot of arsenic mobilized in a detox program. I had a lot of toxicity as I am a lousy detoxer - I'd die long before something like the Cutler protocol would make a dent in my toxicity, so I chose IV methods under the supervision of an expert doctor.

Even on significant support, I had headaches and felt sick and queasy. The curcumin IV helped flush the arsenic out of me. After that, for awhile, I began each IV session with curcumin until my toxicity went down and I no longer needed it.

There's been a lot of study with curcumin and cancer and I have witnessed patients who have failed multiple types of chemotherapy or metastatic cancers get it with great success.

It is a tricky substance and must be processed correctly by experts to be used in an injectible format. I've seen it safely used over the past 3 years and know that the staff had to deal with curcumin from different suppliers slightly differently. It is thick and can clog IV lines.

It is definitely not a do it yourself project for IM injections and it is very safe orally. The only issue is having it processed to be bioavailable, generally with lipids, liposomal, and or with piperine from black pepper.

It is a valuable pharmaceutical agent, but as with anything, must be used appropriately with understanding of its properties and methods to achieve therapeutic benefit.

Thank you for your input! Its very frustrating when trying to have a discussion people without any knowledge or experience jump in and throw out what they "think" without justification or evidence.

I personally don't like the idea of IV but I'm glad it worked for you. Are you completely off the Curcumin or go back for it every so often?

Any other benefits you've noticed?

Learner1

Thank you for your input! Its very frustrating when trying to have a discussion people without any knowledge or experience jump in and throw out what they "think" without justification or evidence.

I personally don't like the idea of IV but I'm glad it worked for you. Are you completely off the Curcumin or go back for it every so often?

Any other benefits you've noticed?
It was a factor in curing my stage 3 cancer and I currently take it orally as a preventative measure.

I no longer take it in IV form, but wouldn't hesitate if I needed it again. The times I've used it are when every other detoxifying agent I'm taking (Bs, glutathione, other botanicals) aren't enough and I have symptoms of acute toxicity - headache, upset intestines, emitting sulfur, rash, etc.

I know people will come back with "Well, if you used the Cutler protocol, you'd avoid those symptoms..." However, I had a huge toxic load, lousy methylgenetics, and got cancer. I'd be dead if I waited for the Cutler protocol to work.

Instead, under the supervision of an expert doctor, I've done heavy duty oral and IV chrlstion, first with EDTA, DMSA, and DMPS, and more recently with PolyMVA, which is getting it out of my mitochondria. It's been done with nutritional support, over the past few years, and the curcumin IV has been useful when more got mobilized than my body could process.

Curcumin is also great at reducing inflammation. I was in a significant car accident, and used curcumin, and avoided opiates. I also used it during recovery from major surgery to reduce inflammation.

Curcumin is well studied and has numerous health benefits... One of my favorite sites for high quality info, GreenMed Info, has collected many quality research articles on it.

Curcumin in injectable form is not easily accessible. The best thing to do is to just take the enhanced absorption versions of it (liposomal, longvida curcumin, theracumin, bioperine-added, etc). Curcumin has a lot of great research behind it but the main issue is absorption.

I've personally made and been using my own intramuscular curcumin with decent results. I use it as an adjunct to my pain management. It definitely helps with inflammation and pain. I also take it orally (longvida curcumin) but it gets fairly pricey with a decent dose.