Our Newly Ill Face Their First Holiday Season with ME/CFS
Don't look now! The holiday season is on its way. I've lived through decades of them with ME/CFS. So have many of you in our chronically ill community. That's beyond sad for all of us. But at least we have some idea what we're contending with, and have learned our ways of handling...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Info re: shortage of IV and injectable Benadryl in the US

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Gingergrrl, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

There is currently a shortage in the US (and maybe other countries, I am not sure?) of IV and injectable Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). I was on IV Benadryl in the hospital, and then IM (injectable) Benadryl at home, in 2015 in order to prevent anaphylaxis.

At present I only use IV Benadryl as a pre-med when I get Rituximab at my infusion center (and they assured me that they still have IV Benadryl) so the shortage must be affecting individual patients vs. hospitals or infusion centers.

This is a life-threatening situation for those who rely on this med and I am providing a link from TMS (The Mastocytosis Society) which explains the situation in more detail, includes an e-mail to contact if you need help getting this med, and a template to contact the FDA Commissioner to advocate and alert him of the seriousness of this situation.

Here is the link for anyone who might need it:

https://tmsforacure.org/community/advocacy/

2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

3. StarChild56

StarChild56 Senior Member

I will definitely check out the link, but at my infusion center they are adamant that they can not get IV benadryl so it is affecting them for certain.

Gingergrrl and ClaireKnowles like this.
  4. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Thank you @Gingergrrl I contacted my Congressional representatives, hope others do, too. I have been dealing with this shortage for the past 3 months. This is a very serious problem.

Gingergrrl and ClaireKnowles like this.
  5. ClaireKnowles

ClaireKnowles

Sacramento, CA
    Ugh, I wasn't aware of this, but IV Benadryl + Ativan are the only anesthetics I can tolerate if I need a procedure, in addition to needing IV Benadryl for infusions. I will write Scott Gottlieb and my senator.

Gingergrrl and Learner1 like this.
  6. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    It can be gotten now, just difficult. Walgreens doesn't have it, but Safeway does currently.

ClaireKnowles and Gingergrrl like this.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

I just called my infusion center where I have been going for 2+ years b/c I am getting Rituximab on 12/3 and even though I have not reacted to it, I would NOT feel comfortable doing it without IV Benadryl immediately on hand for an emergency. And they know that with MCAS you can react to something that you have never reacted to before.

Anyway, they assured me that they have IV Benadryl and there is no issue. I asked who their supplier is and they said that their hospital pharmacy is the supplier (b/c my infusion center is an outpatient cancer center that is part of a hospital where my MCAS doctor works). They did not know the name of the supplier that the hospital pharmacy gets it from but they assume that they have multiple sources.

@Forçe e Honra Is your infusion center part of a hospital?

ClaireKnowles likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.