• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infectious Diseases 4e chapter: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by van der Meer & Bleijenberg

sarah darwins

As I often do, I am eating while I read this forum. There should be a warning to avoid threads like this while eating. :vomit:

I would not want to use a toilet cleaned by these people. I do not think you could ever train them to do any work carefully and correctly. :nervous:

Rowan Atkinson had a line in a famous sketch: "I wouldn't trust one of them to sit the right way on a toilet seat."

Tom Kindlon

An important issue with regard to efficacy is the aim of CBT. In many studies improvement and rehabilitation is the treatment goal. Our CBT studies86,88–92 aimed to cure (i.e. disappearance of symptoms and functional impairment as its defined goal, ability to return to work and other activities and no longer considering oneself as a patient).1 It should be realized that if cure is not the goal of treatment, it will never be attained. Of great interest is our observation that – as mentioned above – there is a regain of gray matter with successful CBT, underscoring that the loss of gray matter in CFS is neurobiologically important, that CBT induces morphologic changes that point to plasticity of the brain.68
Another important question is whether the effect of CBT is lasting; a number of follow-up studies have shown that there is a sustained effect.93,94 However, there are a couple of problems with CBT. The first is availability: although the term cognitive behavioral therapy is widely used, specific CBT, tailor-made for CFS, is hard to get. A second major problem – fed by some patient organizations – is that many CFS patients have strong somatic attributions and reject the idea that a psychologic intervention may help them.
I had a letter published in reply to the grey matter volume study
Brain. 2009 Jul;132(Pt 7):e119; author reply e120. doi: 10.1093/brain/awn358. Epub 2009 Jan 29.
Change in grey matter volume cannot be assumed to be due to cognitive behavioural therapy.
Kindlon T.
http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/132/7/e119.long

Basically there was no CFS control group so the change was not necessarily due to CBT. Also the change was quite small.

taniaaust1

Thanks, those ducks seem to be talking more sense.

Of great interest is our observation that – as mentioned above – there is a regain of gray matter with successful CBT, underscoring that the loss of gray matter in CFS is neurobiologically important, that CBT induces morphologic changes that point to plasticity of the brain.68

I want to know how things like actually thinking about being better makes one regrow brain back? Maybe they can also make amputees grow their arms and legs back with just some CBT seeing its such a miraculous therapy.

Last edited: