• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inexpensive Methylfolate

whodathunkit

FWIW, @ahmo says doing the Solgar Metafolin sublingually halved the number of tabs she needed to keep herself stable. Hopefully she'll chime in since I tagged her.

I personally didn't notice any difference between sublingual dosage and oral but I'm very stable with mfolate now so unless I go without for days I don't get any symptoms. Plus I'm too lazy to do multiple sublinguals per day and I didn't find out about doing sublingually until after I was already back into singe-digit doses, so I never gave it a thorough test. But if I was still taking double-digit doses I would definitely give the sublingual route a better go, regardless of brand.

ahmo

Yes, I've used the Solgar tabs, as well as Life Extensions and Thorne capsules. I empty the caps into gum line. Took me from needing 15mg to 5mg/day. FWIW, for higher doses, like 5mg. Thorne 5mg caps, which I use 1/3 AM/midday/PM, is easier than 3 x 1mg caps, as the powder is more concentrated, less to hold in mouth.:balloons:

ljimbo423

Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you think taking sublingual has anything to do with the difference in effectiveness or mostly the product itself?

I have found that taking methylfolate sub-lingually allowed me to lower my dose dramatically. I started taking the methylPro product sub-lingually and was able to cut my daily dose more than in half.

So my experience has been that any methylfolate that I take works better sub-lingually. I switched to the Methyl-Life product because it was cheaper, sub-lingual and easier to adjust the dose. As far as the methy-life being a better product, I really don't know but it works.:thumbsup:

MAF14

I have found that taking methylfolate sub-lingually allowed me to lower my dose dramatically. I started taking the methylPro product sub-lingually and was able to cut my daily dose more than in half.

So my experience has been that any methylfolate that I take works better sub-lingually. I switched to the Methyl-Life product because it was cheaper, sub-lingual and easier to adjust the dose. As far as the methy-life being a better product, I really don't know but it works.:thumbsup:

Fair enough and thanks again. I think I'll be ordering the methylife product tonight.

ahmo

No. The folate could easily be sublingual, I just habitually put it into my gum line. But there aren't the flavorings in folate that you find in the sublingual B12. Sorry to hear about your damage:(