• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inexpensive Methylfolate

MAF14

For those interested...

Aside from buying huge amounts of powder sourced from China, the cheapest Methylfolate I've found is from Methylpro at about $0.07 per 1mg.

http://www.methylpro.com/product/5-MTHF-15mg

Essentially a Deplin substitute but can be bought in 2.5, 5, 10 and 15mg increments (obviously the higher the dose the cheaper).

I have just ordered, can't really compare to Solgar right now and there is the issue of dividing the powder but I thought I would share.

Hope this helps!

MAF14

Absolutely. Should be coming in this weekend.

I've also noticed A LOT of improvement with higher doses methylfolate.

Was taking 400mcg twice a day. Now taking 2mg 3x per day and significantly feel better.

mgk

Absolutely. Should be coming in this weekend.

I've also noticed A LOT of improvement with higher doses methylfolate.

Was taking 400mcg twice a day. Now taking 2mg 3x per day and significantly feel better.
Same here. The other supplements were helping me in other areas, but increasing folate is the first thing that started helping with the depression and foggy thinking. I'm up to around 6mg/day now, but it gets expensive!

Thanks for posting about this product, it looks promising. It's a calcium salt of L-methylfolate just like Metafolin, but apparently there's a slight technical difference in the type of salt. Metafolin is crystalline whereas Extrafolate is amorphous. I don't know if it makes a practical difference so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it as well.

MAF14

Same here. The other supplements were helping me in other areas, but increasing folate is the first thing that started helping with the depression and foggy thinking. I'm up to around 6mg/day now, but it gets expensive!

Thanks for posting about this product, it looks promising. It's a calcium salt of L-methylfolate just like Metafolin, but apparently there's a slight technical difference in the type of salt. Metafolin is crystalline whereas Extrafolate is amorphous. I don't know if it makes a practical difference so I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it as well.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. But yes, the mental clarity from increasing folate is great.

Comes in tomorrow I believe so should be able to follow up within the next few days.

shannah

@mgk and @MAF14

It's odd that I feel nothing when increasing folate, although I know it's doing something because it drastically reduces my blood pressure.

You mention it clears foggy thinking and depression. Anything else? And is it noticeable right away or does it take a bit of time.

MAF14

Granted I also take ahost of other supplements (both B12's, LCF, etc) but increasing methylfolate makes the most noticeable differences while keep other doses essentially the same.

I notice the improvement in mental clarity within an hour.

How high have you tried going with methylfolate?

MAF14

I've gone as high as 800 mcg 4 times a day spaced out evenly.

Personally I've never had any negative side effects since starting the deadlock quartet supplement even starting at high doses right off the bat...

Started at 800mcg Methylfolate and doubled the dose every few days until I hit 6mg in 3 doses through out the day, 5000mcg/3000mcg Methyl B12/ADB12 respectively and 850mg LCF.

If you don't have any negative side effects I would try upping a dose to 1600mcg. See how you feel. Then try 2400mcg... That's where I felt the clarity but it could be more or less for you.

I saw a few posts from @Freddd talking about how the high doses really work well for quite a few people/

Sea

Thanks @MAF14 , that looks great. Shame about the shipping cost - $39 to Australia. I wonder why they can't use the same shipping method as iherb ($4 - $8 to Australia depending on weight)

MAF14

I have taken two doses of 15mg, last night and once this morning.

Both times I experienced the mental clarity so from my point of view I would say it is a good product and my results were comparable to solgar.

One thing I will say, due to the half life I believe, this morning dose effects (6:30am) seems to be dissipating. Still not foggy but I seem to be getting there.

I think I'll try separating the doses but the capsules are relatively small with a small amount of powder... Ideally I think I would try to take 5mg at waking, 5 at noon and then another 5 later in the evening.

Hope this helps.

MAF14

Thanks @MAF14 , that looks great. Shame about the shipping cost - $39 to Australia. I wonder why they can't use the same shipping method as iherb ($4 - $8 to Australia depending on weight)

Maybe try contacting them directly and requesting a cheaper shipping option?

My shipping was free due to the order being over $50 USD.

Sea

Maybe try contacting them directly and requesting a cheaper shipping option?

My shipping was free due to the order being over $50 USD.
Yes, I might try contacting them. Unfortunately the free shipping offer doesn't apply to international sales or I would happily order over $50 to get it.

Last edited:

MAF14

First morning I had a full 15mg dose all at once. Went pretty well until started getting foggy later in the day.

Since then I have been separating the 15mg in two doses and think I like taking the one bolus dose more. The positive effects from folate lasted longer than splitting the doses weirdly enough. I am going to try again tomorrow and see if I notice any differences through out the day.

MAF14

After some experimenting I think I like the full morning dose more than split doses. Going to experiment more consistently with split doses but thought I would share.

MAF14

Anyone else get to try the Methylpro product above?

I'm thinking about going back to Solgar to see if I notice a difference.

whodathunkit

Anyone else get to try the Methylpro product above?

I'm thinking about going back to Solgar to see if I notice a difference.
We're waiting on the results of your comparison trial before we buy. :)

To get a bigger morning boost but also to extend the effects of methylfolate over the entire 24-hour period, you might try doing something like taking 10-12mg in the morning and then the remaining 5-3mg in the afternoon. Or take the entire 15mg in the mornign then add another 2-3mg later in the day. That will increase your overall dosage but if you're feeling good on a 15mg bolus it's unlikey that you're going to have significant problems by adding another couple/few milligrams.

ljimbo423

@MAF14 - I have tried the 15mg caps from methylpro but recently switched to a Methyl-Life product. The one I am taking is 5mg but they also have 15, 10, and 2.5mg. I was taking about 12mg of the methylpro caps but only need 3.75mg of the methyl-life product for the same results. It is also a (6S)-5-MTHF calcium salt but is sub-lingual and scored so they can be easily broken in half. The cost for 90 - 15mg tablets is $76 and free shipping on all united states orders. I have found them to be very effective and very affordable.

I saw that someone in an earlier post mentioned Australia so I put a bottle of the 15mg in my cart, selected Australia for shipping charges, and the charges came up as 0.00. I have never done international shipping so I might have made a mistake, but it may be worth looking into for those that need to ship internationally. Hope this helps-here is the link- http://www.methyl-life.com/buy-products.html#

MAF14

@MAF14 - I have tried the 15mg caps from methylpro but recently switched to a Methyl-Life product. The one I am taking is 5mg but they also have 15, 10, and 2.5mg. I was taking about 12mg of the methylpro caps but only need 3.75mg of the methyl-life product for the same results. It is also a (6S)-5-MTHF calcium salt but is sub-lingual and scored so they can be easily broken in half. The cost for 90 - 15mg tablets is $76 and free shipping on all united states orders. I have found them to be very effective and very affordable.

I saw that someone in an earlier post mentioned Australia so I put a bottle of the 15mg in my cart, selected Australia for shipping charges, and the charges came up as 0.00. I have never done international shipping so I might have made a mistake, but it may be worth looking into for those that need to ship internationally. Hope this helps-here is the link- http://www.methyl-life.com/buy-products.html#

Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you think taking sublingual has anything to do with the difference in effectiveness or mostly the product itself?