• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Increasing Calcium does not prevent fractures In elderly

barbc56

I can't take calcium supplements because I tend to get kidney stones.

However, ingesting foods high in calcium does not increase the risks of kidney stones.

Thanks for the article. I have it bookmarked.

Barb

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have osteopenia so have been taking it along with s bunch of other stuff

I get kidney stones too but not from calcium that I know of. I don't remember if they did an autopsy on the 8 cm one I had 10 years ago. Ouch!

What foods?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
There are studies, though, that indicate that taking strontium rather than calcium helps prevent fractures. Don't ask me to quote them though as I don't have time to look them up!

IreneF

Strangely enough, calcium from food and calcium from supplements are digested differently. I found this out after my husband had his third kidney stone. He is supposed to eat foods that are high in calcium but not take supplements.

Dairy foods are good sources, as are fish canned with their bones (e.g. salmon). You have to eat the bones, of course. Dark leafy greens are good, plus they have plenty of vitamin K.

Toxed

Certified in Environmental Medicine, ATSDR
Calcium, magnesium and potassium need to be balanced for strong bones and teeth. Most of the population is deficient in magnesium. The numbers vary from paper to paper. One paper said that supplement ratios of cal/mag shoukd be reversed. Twice as much mag as calcium. I agree with the others. Most supplemental calcium isn't bio-available. Its just ground "rock" or shell.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Sushi. I also take strontium, selenium,k, D3, and a trace mineral complex. Probably more I can't remember.

My cal/mag is 2:1.

There are calciums that are better, not just crushed rock. Don't and me which. Lol.

Just one less thing for me to take.

barbc56

@minkeygirl

Eight? Just reading your post makes me hurt. I take it that you had it removed? Stones that large tend to not pass. If you passed it, you have my sympathies.:(

I don't pass mine because of their location and unfortunately the stones are in a place where they are painful.. I didn't know that you can be in pain from internal stones. There are other locations in the kidney, where you don't feel them and they can become hugh. It really helps to have a urologist who has also passed stones.

I have just been diagnosed with secondary hyperparathyroidism . My low vitamin D causes the parathyroid to produce too much PTH. Right now I'm getting vitamin D but you have to be careful as vitamin D can cause heart problems.

Developing the kidney stones, as well as the fact that I'd never had them befoe a year ago, means I may get the procedure to remove most of the tissue in the four parathyroid glands. It only takes about fifteen minutes and it's done with local anesthesia. I have read that this simple operation can turn your life around as far as the symptons.

Have you had your PTH checked? There are usually other tests that are abnormal with hyperparathyroidism so don't go by what I say and consult your physician.

Here is a resource about hyperparathyroidism.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyperparathyroidism/basics/definition/con-20022086

Barb

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@barbc56 I had lithotripsy to remove that one and 2 4 cm ones. One that passed had me on the floor.

That was in 2010 after I flew cross country and haven't had one since. I doubt it had anything to do with my parathyroid.

If a simple procedure can fix something so huge, I'd go for it.

IreneF

Kidney stones are one of the most painful things that can happen. My husband was writhing on the floor screaming. I was wondering how I was going to get him in the car for the 10 min. trip to the hospital.

Apparently the ER people can recognize them when they come in. There was another kidney stone patient that night--middle-aged man in PJs and slippers, shuffling along, partly bent forward.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Argh... I have osteopenia and also some food problems including tyramine-induced migraines so pretty much any food with calcium is off the menu for me so my doctor recommended calcium supplementation.

Wondering what I should do now...

Sean

Strangely enough, calcium from food and calcium from supplements are digested differently. I found this out after my husband had his third kidney stone. He is supposed to eat foods that are high in calcium but not take supplements.

Dairy foods are good sources, as are fish canned with their bones (e.g. salmon). You have to eat the bones, of course. Dark leafy greens are good, plus they have plenty of vitamin K.
Almonds, Brazil nuts, and sunflower and sesame seeds, are good sources too. I have about two spoons of almond meal a day, works with a wide range of dishes/recipes, or just on its own. Plus at least a decent handful (1/2 cup?) of a mix of pine nuts, and sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Going to get some sesame seeds next time I go shopping to add in the mix.

Blackstrap molasses has some calcium in it, plus other minerals, trace elements, and B group vitamins. A teaspoon a day used to be a standard dietary supplement for kids. Just rinse your mouth with water straight after to wash the sugars off your teeth.

My favourite calcium food is figs. Though too many makes for quick visits to the toilet. :oops: :rolleyes:

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Bones need a lot more than calcium and D3. When I was diagnosed with osteopenia, my doctor recommended a supplement with 13 ingredients.
Right now I'm getting vitamin D but you have to be careful as vitamin D can cause heart problems.
What sort of heart problems does Vitamin D cause?