Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Income protection policies and ME/CFS: Important legal judgement involving Friends Provident (UK)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by charles shepherd, Oct 5, 2017.

1. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

Income protection policies and ME/CFS: Important legal judgement involving Friends Provident (UK)

A high-flying financier accused of being a “downright liar” and “faking” symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome has been vindicated by a judge.

Charles Miley, 51, was condemned as a lead-swinger by insurance giants Friends Life who put private detectives on his tail.

They filmed him out shopping, down the pub with his mates and even at his daughter’s nativity play in a bid to prove him a liar.

Continued here:
    http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/banker-set-millions-compensation-after-13717521

This is clearly an important and useful legal judgement for anyone with ME/CFS here in the UK who is (or has been) in dispute with an insurance company in relation to an income protection policy

The MEA has an information leaflet covering this type of policy (also known as permanent health insurance) in relation to ME/CFS:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/shop/management-leaflets/income-rotection-insurance/

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

2. charles shepherd

3. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Shock horror, a disabled person went to the pub and does shopping!!

Dolphin, ladycatlover, Sean and 7 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    So the sufferer has to comply with the doctor so as not to jeopardize insurance payments. The doctor says be active. The sufferer complies by being active. The insurance company films the sufferer being active and says "see, he's not ill, we don't have to pay!"

Nice scam.

ladycatlover, Sea, Barry53 and 9 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

Germany
    It would be interesting to know whether this case sets any kind of precedent, for example did the insurance policy have an exclusion for mental health conditions and was this held by the High Court (so binding on all lower courts) not to apply to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? There could be a few aspects of this case that might set a useful precedent (or, dare I say it, open the floodgates) if we had some more details.

ladycatlover, Sea, Barry53 and 4 others like this.
  6. charles shepherd

7. TiredSam

Germany
    point 18:

Looks like they missed a trick there. Or were advised that Wesselybabble, whilst sufficient in some quarters, may not stand up in the High Court.

ladycatlover, Valentijn and Barry53 like this.
  8. TiredSam

Germany
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Slimy Anthony Cleare is involved too! On the side of the insurers. Would his submissions to the court be available for request? It might be helpful to know what people like this are submitting for these sorts of cases.

Here are the bits of the ruling which mention him:

See more popular forum discussions.