• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Rare Disorder, Woman's Immune System Attacks Her Own Brain

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
"Doctors also need to remove all of the problematic antibodies from a person's blood. To do so, the woman in the case underwent plasmapheresis, a procedure to purify the blood, for five days, the doctors wrote. She was also given medications to suppress her immune system, in order to stop the production of more antibodies.

The woman has fully recovered from the illness, the doctors noted in the report. "

Appealing. A procedure which purifies the blood in 5 days.

I'd like to see an ME/CFS patient try plasmapheresis. Especially after Fluge/Mella finding of "cause is in the blood".

antares4141

Appealing. A procedure which purifies the blood in 5 days.

I'd like to see an ME/CFS patient try plasmapheresis. Especially after Fluge/Mella finding of "cause is in the blood".

Sigh! Wouldn't it be nice if people responsible for public health frantically kept trying everything they could think of to try to unravel this puzzle?

It's almost like they don't want to know.

I call this phenomenon anti-feynman syndrome.

barbc56

I think the author of Brain on Fire was eventually diagnosed with this. Unfortunately, it took time for her to get diagnosed.

This woman was very very lucky, maybe because they found the teratoma.

I would highly recommend reading Brain On Fire.

Last edited:

SK2018

SK

I had a chronic low level version of it equally debilitating just in a different way ,not sure if it's due to another Neuro immune dysfunction or just caused by those antibodies themselves ,sad part is I was not lucky enough to meet a smart Doctor that suspected it early ,time is of the essence as far as treatment is concerned.

SK2018

SK
Where do get this process from in the U.K.

You'll never get plasmapheresis on the NHS for ME in the UK they think your illness is all in your head,and privately it will be a sheer rip off ,you will need to go to Taiwan or mainland China if you want a good cheap deal on plasmapheresis (2000 pound -3000 pound) and believe me this is ridiculously cheap compared to private rates in the U.K or US