The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

In live debate, MP calls treatment of ME patients “one of the medical scandals of the 21st century"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by brooke, Feb 21, 2018.

1. brooke

brooke

https://medium.com/@missbrooke/in-l...est-medical-scandals-of-the-21st-52b67a782d55

Yesterday, I summarized the debate personal blog with our community in mind (for people who were too sick to watch the video but could read). This morning, I moved the write-up over to Medium as healthy people seem more likely to read Medium than chronic illness blogs. This is different from the ME Action article that was posted in that it focuses mainly on the quotes from the debate itself.

rebar, ahmo, zzz and 10 others like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Well done, @brooke !. We were given a gift yesterday, and we must do our best to broadcast the messgae far and wide.

Now we need the major media outlets to take it up.............if they have the courage to ignore the pressures that will come from 'certain quarters' and the inevitable phone call to the editor :rolleyes:.

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The Hansard transcript of the parliamentary debates instigated by MP Carol Monaghan can be read here. About half way down the page Mrs Monaghan says:

rebar, ahmo, Mel9 and 1 other person like this.
  4. brooke

brooke

Hi @Hip, I wrote this up because a lot of people will not have the patience to read the full debate transcript. You and I will of course because we are interested in this, but for a wider audience, I decided to share just the main points.
    @Countrygirl It's hard to get major media outlets to pick up ME/CFS stories. I've been told the key is to stick to the facts, don't be overly emotive (because reporters will think you are exaggerating). I submitted these quotes and the headline to my local papers. I did not include a link to my blog because sometimes outlets will not cover things that have already been covered, even if it's just a blog. I think everyone should do the same and let their local reporters (and the national papers in their country) know this happened.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    rebar, Mel9, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    There are some lively responses to M. Sharpe's query:

brooke, ukxmrv, alex3619 and 2 others like this.
  6. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @brooke Thanks so much for your summary. At Last!!!!!

brooke likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.