• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Belgium to see Dr de Meirleir

Marc_NL

@MarcNL, do you know the reason for KDM prescribing 5HTP?
Is your kynuneric acid elevated?

I don't know why he prescribed it, I would like to know more why certain things are prescribed but unfortunately there is no explanation.

How do you know kynuneric acid is elevated? It actually is.
Is there a relation between 5HTP and kynuneric acid?

I posted my results and prescriptions in @dadouv47's thread because there are some similarities:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/post-lyme-treatment-with-kdm.44452/#post-728393

Let's see if we can also equally progress with this treatment.

I am planning to start everything step by step, today I start with the 5HTP and then step by step add:
- all other supplements.
- the B12 injections.
- Mesalazine
- Antibiotics
- Samento/Banderol/Cumanda

Thinktank

I'm still researching the why and how but simply put, I think KDM prescribes 5HTP because too much tryptophan gets converted into kynurenic acid + quinolinic acid and not enough into serotonin, which then leads to increased oxidative stress and NMDA receptor activation.
@msf also mentioned that kynurenic acid can be a direct result of systemic inflammation.

I have high kynurenic acid too. + low urinary 5-HIAA (low serotonin due to trytophan steal -> kynurenic acid and quinolinic acid?). I suffer from constant anxiety and overstimulation, NMDA antagonists like magnesium can really calm me down, so i believe there's something to this.

kynurenine-pathway.png

https://neuroendoimmune.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/psychoneuroimmunology-where-kynurenic-acid-fits/

sorin

@Thinktank - seems that 5HTP is an anti-depressant. Maybe we look so depressed so that's why this item was included in the treatment plan? :)

sorin

Just wondering why, in diagnostic of Lyme, is not usually used dark field microscopy (it seems it can visualize the spirochetes, that would be the final proof that someone has or not Lyme). And we did not do that test...
6631.html

naoise

@Valentijn hi! I know this is an old thread but I wanted to see how you are doing since start dr KDMs treatment? I am due over in 4 weeks to get my treatment plan!
I saw he recommended a diet free of simple sugars? What does that mean and does he explain all that?

sorin

I started to take 5-HTP 3 pills per day, now I am in the 3-rd day of treatment and can not feel any difference. Probably I was happy enough before starting the 5-HTP? ;)

sorin

Most of us have problems with gut, taking so many pills each day won't make the gut problems worse? For example, I have to take 19 pills per day...

adelheid55

Sorin,

KDM prescribed 5HTP for our daughter as well. There was another thread in which some members explained why to take it. I think it's something to do with serotonin... but don't know where to find this thread.
What I (I'm taking it because of my bad sleep) know is, it may take some time until it starts working.

dadouv47

if the goal his to increase serotonin, it's going to take AT LEAST 3 weeks for having a VERY small result from it and probably 2-3 months to have a real effect on the serotonin and keeping a higher level of serotonin during the next months (and probably year if you remain taking it).
If there was any drug helping to increase serotonin so fast, some company would win even more money than they already win by prescribing so many antidepressants.
Regards
David

JaimeS

@dadouv47 -- not the case for those who are serotonin-sensitive, which includes many PWME. I had a serotonin-syndrome-like episode after 2 pills of 5-HTP 2 days apart.

-J

Last edited:

JaimeS

My blood serotonin is a bit low, but pee serotonin is normal, indicating that brain serotonin may be high.

Regardless, that may be why many report more emotional and cognitive symptoms at onset than later. Serotonin receptors (and other receptors) can up- or down-regulate over time to become more or less sensitive.

Hi, I am new. I have had CFS for 3 years now. I have some of my test results back (see below the abnormal results from RED / KdM) and am trying to get smarter before speaking to the doc next month.

My question is, do others take L-carnitine to address high ammonia levels?

Thanks!

Ammonia in serum – 5.51 (0.28 – 3.03 ratio to normal median)

CD57 – 58 (60 – 360 cells)

Elastase expression – 246 (0-150)

Prostaglandine E2 – 3.87 (0.3 – 2.06 ratio to normal median)

Quinolinic acid – 1.52 (0.75 – 1.16 ratio to normal median)

Soluble CD14 – 3254 (1430 – 2800 ng/ml)

IL-1beta serum – 7 (0-3 pg/ml)

IL-6S – 13 (0-5 pg/ml)

IL-8S – 1416 (0-15 pg/ml)

SeroEBVblotIgG – Positive (past)

SeroEBVblotIgM – Negative

SeroYERSIgA – Negative

SeroYERSIgG – Positive

sorin

Hi, I am new. I have had CFS for 3 years now. I have some of my test results back (see below the abnormal results from RED / KdM) and am trying to get smarter before speaking to the doc next month.

My question is, do others take L-carnitine to address high ammonia levels?

Thanks!

Ammonia in serum – 5.51 (0.28 – 3.03 ratio to normal median)

CD57 – 58 (60 – 360 cells)

Elastase expression – 246 (0-150)

Prostaglandine E2 – 3.87 (0.3 – 2.06 ratio to normal median)

Quinolinic acid – 1.52 (0.75 – 1.16 ratio to normal median)

Soluble CD14 – 3254 (1430 – 2800 ng/ml)

IL-1beta serum – 7 (0-3 pg/ml)

IL-6S – 13 (0-5 pg/ml)

IL-8S – 1416 (0-15 pg/ml)

SeroEBVblotIgG – Positive (past)

SeroEBVblotIgM – Negative

SeroYERSIgA – Negative

SeroYERSIgG – Positive
Hi! I have ammonia in serum 6.87, I understood from KDM this is quite bad, but I do not take anything for it. By the way my soluble CD14 is 9544! Did you do CD4, CD8 and CMV testing?

dadouv47

Don't know about L-carnitine (not taking it), but I think KDM pays attention very carefully to ammonia. My ammonia went from 5,84 to 1,65 in 3 months of treatment ( not feeling general health's improvements but still significant change). Can't really tell what helped to reduce it so much... =/

Hi! I have ammonia in serum 6.87, I understood from KDM this is quite bad, but I do not take anything for it. By the way my soluble CD14 is 9544! Did you do CD4, CD8 and CMV testing?

No, he did not order these tests. But I am still waiting for the results from Lab Medische Ontledingen, Arminlabs, Biotek, stool and urine.

Don't know about L-carnitine (not taking it), but I think KDM pays attention very carefully to ammonia. My ammonia went from 5,84 to 1,65 in 3 months of treatment ( not feeling general health's improvements but still significant change). Can't really tell what helped to reduce it so much... =/

Interesting. I did two Acumen tests earlier this year and the second showed improvements 6 weeks after doing the first but I also didn't feel any difference. My GP said it takes 6 months for the brain to register some of these improvements.