• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Impaired Bioenergetics in Clinical Medicine: A Target to Tackle

nanonug

https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.243.227

Abstract
Mitochondrial energy deficit is considered a key element of different clinical pathologies - from inherited disorders of energy metabolism to drug-induced mitochondrial toxicity, to cardiometabolic and neurodegenerative diseases. However, clinical manifestations of impaired bioenergetics are not easy to recognize, with patient-reported features usually include non-pathognomonic fatigue and weakness, or exercise intolerance, while specific lab tests are missing. Although it is not clear whether poor energetics is a primary deficit or a secondary consequence of specific disorders, improving mitochondrial viability remains a challenging task in both experimental and clinical medicine. In this review, biochemical and clinical evidence of energy deficits were reviewed, along with possible therapeutic options to tackle energy failure and restore bioenergetics.
108-2.png

ljimbo423

However, clinical manifestations of impaired bioenergetics are not easy to recognize, with patient-reported features usually include non-pathognomonic fatigue and weakness, or exercise intolerance, while specific lab tests are missing.

I'm fairly convinced that mitochondrial dysfunction is the primary cause of my fatigue and flu-like symptoms. I'm now steadily increasing my dose of coq10. I'm at 575mg a day now and will continue to go up until either the benefits stop or I can't afford it.

I'm also getting good lift in energy from b-5, pantethine, b-1, p5p and nadh. Most of which help with mitochondrial function. Ironically, the energy I get from b-5, pantethine, nadh and b-1 is so intense, I have to be very careful about dosing. If I'm not, I get so energized, I often over exert myself and cause PEM or get insomnia.

Jim

Learner1

Impaired mitochondrial function/bioenergenics is likely a common issue shared by many of us, but it's likely that we are unique in what's going on.

We are a heterogeneous group of patients with different genes, health history, and environmental factors that may cause the impairment.

Taking a one-size-fits-all mito cocktail may help a few of us, but it's likely to be an individualized approach that will help most of us.

I recently had a groundbreaking mitochondria test done, and found the results to be quite surprising. I'm working out what to do with them right now and will post a summary at a later time.

However, until now, I've been taking all of the supplements @ljimbo423 is thriving on and am not getting the same results with them as he gets, and my test results clearly show that there's more going on.

Getting good diagnostic testing and solving the individual problems identified offers us each a path to health, one vexingly slow step at a time.

ljimbo423

Learner1

Thank you for passing this on @ljimbo423 Yes I am taking it. Apparently many of us have an underactive complex I.

Folate and carnitine are helpful, too. The attached describes these and other interventions.

Attachments

• nutrients mitochondria complexes autism ASD.pdf
    832.9 KB · Views: 9