• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune cells different after methylation?

snowathlete

For me, methylation seems to have altered my immune system, in a good way.
Is there evidence of blood differences as a result of treatment? Specifically I am thinking of immune cell differences.

Best

richvank

Hi, Snow.

That's good to hear. I don't have any data on this, but my hypothesis does predict improvements in the immune system. In particular, glutathione is very important for the function of the T lymphocytes and for controlling damage due to oxidative stress when the immune system produces inflammation. Also, improved folate metabolism should help the T and B lymphocytes to carry out clonal proliferation when they are responding to an antigen. I would guess that improved methylation capacity would also benefit the immune system, because of more normal control of gene expression.

It would be nice to have some before and after testing of immune system parameters.

Best regards,

Rich

snowathlete

It would be nice to have some before and after testing of immune system parameters.

Wouldnt it. Too late for me to do that, but i do plan to take a whole bunch of tests, including immune tests, and if i can afford it in the future maybe i will take some repeats. If i have continued to improve over the intervening period, then it would be interesting to see what has changed.

If we are lucky, someone else who is thinking of starting treatment will take some tests before and after. It would be very interesting to see what changes.

place

Be Strong!
Just making my way through some of these old post and I will be able to have data on that. I get immune tested periodically over past 7 years. A lot of specialty test to that I did not think was ME related but are now surfacing. I will try to post next time I get more tests done.

determined

I believe that my immune function has changed for the better. Along with significant increase in energy, my CD 57 bumped up a bit into the 80s. I'll get it measured in a few months and see if it has stayed up there ("up there" is relative - normal is ~120 - 180 or so).