• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Immune Architecture Altered After Gut Infection in Mouse Study

Bob

This may be of interest to some of you. It relates to the interaction between gut and immune system, including the issue of chronic gut inflammation.

Article:
Infections May Set the Stage for Chronic Inflammatory Diseases
Immune Architecture Altered After Gut Infection in Mouse Study
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/immuneSystem/Pages/BelkaidCellFeature.aspx

Research Paper:
Microbiota-Dependent Sequelae of Acute Infection Compromise Tissue-Specific Immunity
http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S...m/retrieve/pii/S0092867415010442?showall=true

Simon

From initial infection to chronic illness (gut microbiome implicated)

This is a really interesting study, but pretty complex too. It uses a mouse model, infecting mice with a bug that infects humans too, to study long-term consequences for the immune system of infection - in some individuals - after the original infection has been cleared. While the authors focus on inflammatory disorders, particularly gut problems like Crohn's disease, it could conceivably play a role in mecfs, though that is pure speculation on my part.

The basic idea is that sometimes after an infection, infected tissues do not recover to their pre-infection state, leaving an 'immune scar' that causes long-term inflammation/immune dysfunction.This could 'set the stage for chronic disease by impairingthe immune system’s checks and balances' accordig to a paywalled commentary by Carl Nathan in the same journal

The study appeared in Cell, one of the very top journals alongside Nature.

brief video summarising the idea:

Nasty stomach bug affecting humans, mice and others
The researchers used the bacteria Yersinia pseudotuberculosis which when given orally causes nasty stomach infections in mice, humans and other mammals. It can also cause swollen gut lymph glands in humans, so this isn't a typical infection, though the authors argue the effects are not unique to this particular organism. Y pseudotuberculosis is a relative of Yersinia Pestis, which causes the plague(!)

Healthy recovery vs long-term problems
Most mice had cleared the infection after three weeks. Yet 70% had long-term problems and "persistently leaky lymphatic vessels draining the intestine and persistently enlarged, inflamed lymph glands in the mesentery (a broad membrane in the abdomen)". These changes are similar to what's seen in humans, and lasted up to 42 weeks (equivalent to 28 years in humans).

Dendritic cells, which play a key role in presenting antigens to activate other immune cells, accumulated in nearby adipose tissue (fat) instead of lymph nodes, and the tissue also produced inflammatory cytokines.

Reduces ability to mount an appropriate immune response
Mice that recovered from the infection developed an immune responset to a new protein in their food, instead of becoming tolerant to it, a finding linked to dysfuction of T-regulatory cells. On the other hand, they failed to mount a normal immune response to a vaccine.

Role for microbiome
The authors argue that the long-term, harmful immune changes are sustained by products of the gut microbiome, and antibiotics that wipe out the microbiome restore normal immune function.

Leaky gut and chronic infection?
The commentary by Nathan suggests another, or additional interpretation based on the studies finding of "infection of the mesenteric lymph glands by bacteria other than Yersinia, chiefly lactobacilli. Lactobacilli are usually thought of as beneficial—people swallow them as probiotics." He suggests that this opportunistic infection by normally-harmless bacteria could be responsible for maintaing the 'immune scar', but it isn't clear cut. He concludes:
the persistent immune dysfunction observed by da Fonseca et al. may indicate that acute infection by a known pathogen can create a context for an otherwise innocuous microbe to become a chronic pathogen.

Whatever the explanation, the observations of da Fonseca et al. are likely to breathe new life into the search for infectious provocateurs of chronic immune and inflammatory disorders, whether the trigger is a transient infection by a known pathogen or a cryptic, chronic infection by a microbe that is usually nonpathogenic.

This is all a bit over my head, and I'd be very interested to hear the views of @Jonathan Edwards on this (who I know is sceptical of the relevance of mice models of immune problems to human disease).

Worth taking a look at the 'video abstract' of the paper, which lasts under 5 mins.

Last edited:

Simon

And here's the paper abstract:
Highlights

•Acute infections can persistently compromise tissue-specific immunity
•Acute infections induce immune remodeling of the adipose tissue
•Infection-induced lymphatic leakage deviates migratory DC trafficking
•Microbiota sustains mesenteric inflammation and immune dysfunction post-infection

Summary
Infections have been proposed as initiating factors for inflammatory disorders; however, identifying associations between defined infectious agents and the initiation of chronic disease has remained elusive. Here, we report that a single acute infection can have dramatic and long-term consequences for tissue-specific immunity. Following clearance of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis, sustained inflammation and associated lymphatic leakage in the mesenteric adipose tissue deviates migratory dendritic cells to the adipose compartment, thereby preventing their accumulation in the mesenteric lymph node. As a consequence, canonical mucosal immune functions, including tolerance and protective immunity, are persistently compromised. Post-resolution of infection, signals derived from the microbiota maintain inflammatory mesentery remodeling and consequently, transient ablation of the microbiota restores mucosal immunity. Our results indicate that persistent disruption of communication between tissues and the immune system following clearance of an acute infection represents an inflection point beyond which tissue homeostasis and immunity is compromised for the long-term.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
[QUOTE="Simon, post: 650239, member: 6724"]

This is all a bit over my head, and I'd be very interested to hear the views of @Jonathan Edwards on this (who I know is sceptical of the relevance of mice models of immune problems to human disease).

Worth taking a look at the 'video abstract' of the paper, which lasts under 5 mins.[/QUOTE]

We have known that short term gut infection can lead to long term gut dysfunction for at least a century - it used to be called tropical sprue. But that was not associated with ME symptoms. You can get a mouse model to do almost anything if you try hard enough so I am not sure this tells us anything very new. I would prefer to see data gathered on real people with ME or related illnesses to be honest.