• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Illness specific cognitive biases in CFS independent of mood and attentional control deficits

Dolphin

http://www.ehps2016.org/files/EHPS2016_Abstracts_Book_08082016.pdf

Oral Presentations
EHPS/DHP 2016 - Conference Abstracts Page | 701
14:15 - 14:30

Illness specific cognitive biases in chronic fatigue syndrome independent of mood and attentional control deficits

A. Hughes1, T. Chalder2, C. Hirsch1, R. Moss-Morris1
1King's College London, United Kingdom
2Kings College London, United Kingdom

Background: Studies have identified specific cognitions and behaviours play a role in maintaining
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); however little research has explored illness specific cognitive
processing in CFS. This study investigates whether CFS participants have an attentional bias for
illness-related stimuli and a tendency to interpret ambiguous information in a somatic way; and
determines whether these cognitive processing biases are associated with cognitions and behaviours,
mood or attentional control.

Methods: Fifty two CFS and 51 healthy participants completed self-report measures of symptoms,
disability, mood, and cognitions and behaviours; and three experimental tasks, using materials
specifically designed to tap into CFS salient cognitions (i) Visual-Probe task measuring attentional
bias to illness (disability and somatic) versus neutral words (ii) Attention Network Test measuring
attentional control (iii) recognition task measuring positive versus somatic interpretations of
ambiguous information.

Findings: Compared to controls, CFS participants showed a significant attentional bias for illness
words; and were significantly more likely to interpret ambiguous information in a somatic way; even
when controlling for comorbidity. The CFS group had significantly poorer attentional control than
healthy participants; which was not related to cognitive biases. Somatic interpretations were
associated with self-reported fatigue, catastrophizing and fear/avoidance beliefs.

Disucssion: People with CFS have illness specific biases in how information is attended to and
interpreted, which may play a part in maintaining symptoms by reinforcing negative illness beliefs and
behaviours. Enhancing adaptive processing, such as positive interpretation biases and more flexible
attention allocation, may provide beneficial intervention targets.

Via this tweet:

JaimeS

For some reason this popped up on my Google scholar. Pretty ridiculous. "Sick people pay more attention to words to do with sickness".

Oh do they.

Do.

They.

It's a breakthrough. :rolleyes:

Do people with cancer pay more attention to words like 'tumor' and 'malignancy'?

Of course.

It's a matter of paying attention of what matters to you. This isn't the same as depressive patients paying more attention to words that have negative connotations. Chalder et al consistently attempt to overlay ME with psychological precepts, and it's like they're not even thinking at all of how the study seems from any point of view other than their own.

-J

JaimeS

Actually, I think this is a consistent effort really to convince themselves and their acolytes: an echo-chamber of "see, we're right!" "See, we're right!"

I can't imagine that this sort of study is convincing to anybody who isn't already convinced. It's to solidify those people's narrative for themselves, not for us or even for other researchers: to justify their continued research / funding, and the way that they treat patients.