• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IL-6 in etiology of hyperexcitable neuropsychiatric conditions: experimental evidence & therapeutic

Dolphin

Full paper mentions CFS somewhere. Leonard Jason talks about kindling in ME/CFS which is perhaps similar.

Future Medicinal Chemistry
November 2012, Vol. 4, No. 17, Pages 2177-2192 , DOI 10.4155/fmc.12.156
(doi:10.4155/fmc.12.156)

Perspective

Role of IL-6 in the etiology of hyperexcitable neuropsychiatric conditions: experimental evidence and therapeutic implications

Marco Atzori‌*1, Francisco Garcia-Oscos‌1 & Jose Alfredo Mendez‌2
* Author for correspondence

Many neuropsychiatric conditions are primed or triggered by different types of stressors.

The mechanisms through which stress induces neuropsychiatric disease are complex and incompletely understood.

A ‘double hit’ hypothesis of neuropsychiatric disease postulates that stress induces maladaptive behavior in two phases separated by a dormant period.

Recent research shows that the pleiotropic cytokine IL-6 is released centrally and peripherally following physical and psychological stress.

In this article, we analyze evidence from clinics and animal models suggesting that stress-induced elevation in the levels of IL-6 may play a key role in the etiology of a heterogeneous family of hyperexcitable central conditions including epilepsy, schizophrenic psychoses, anxiety and disorders of the autistic spectrum.

The cellular mechanism leading to hyperexcitable conditions might be a decrease in inhibitory/excitatory synaptic balance in either or both temporal phases of the conditions.

Following these observations, we discuss how they may have important implications for optimal prophylactic and therapeutic pharmacological treatment.

I agree with the title: the "Future Medicinal Chemistry" = undetected immune reactions are causing many psychiatric illnesses.